Troubleshooting my aqua medic skimmer

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
I've picked up a skimmer from someone who was shutting down their system and I'm having issues keeping it going
When I got it the power transformer was blown so I got a new one but now the skimmer only find for around 5 mins before the pump stop
The skimmer looks to be a

Aqua Medic Turbo Flotor 3000 Skimmer​

Or something similar
I have restricted the outlet of the skimmer to cut down some of the noise of the bubbles but I don't think that's the problem as I have run the pump disconnected from the main body and it will run them shut itself off then try restart and will keep doing that for a while.
The lights on the controller don't change regardless of the state except when I push the feed button.
If I push the feed button as if to pause the working of the skimmer then push it again the skimmer will start and run from between 30 seconds to 5 mins.
I'm thinking of bypassing the controller but then I will lose function of changing the speed of the skimmer.
I've cleaned all parts of the pump and remove some calcium buildup inside the spindle but hasn't changed the problem

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Constant speed is widely used and should be fine
Just adjust the air control accordingly.
There may be some helpful or repair tips on you tube

OP
OP
ilawis

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update with this I ended up not using the pump at all and have plumbed it into my manafold. I put a restriction point into the plumbing running to the skimmer from the manafold and added a washer inside the pipe to ristrict it further and create a low pressure area I then drilled a hole in the side of the plumbing to create my own Venturi valve (it actually works!) And so the skimmer is running full time now so great solution. I've just got to find a way to reduce the noise the outlet of the skimmer makes :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back