True schooling fish

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got some pilot fish for my tank. They are amazing and do really school together.
IMG_1564.jpeg
IMG_1563.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for clarification here, are these Golden Trevally (Gnathanodon speciosus) or another Pilot Fish species?

Either way, what's your plan for when they outgrow your tank?

Edit: To clarify, no judgement here, I'm just genuinely curious.

OP
OP
kzenoni

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for clarification here, are these Golden Trevally (Gnathanodon speciosus) or another Pilot Fish species?

Either way, what's your plan for when they outgrow your tank?

Edit: To clarify, no judgement here, I'm just genuinely curious.
Simple, get a larger tank lol. They are I a 200 gallon now but I also have a 350 gallon they can be moved to.

OP
OP
kzenoni

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never heard of these fish. share a video would ya?
I will try. Not real tech savy but understand I’ve got to go through YouTube. First time seeing these fish so naturally had to have them.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple, get a larger tank lol. They are I a 200 gallon now but I also have a 350 gallon they can be moved to.
And yes they are the golden
These fish grow to 30-36" long on average (four feet max length), so - while I'm definitely not an expert - I'd personally expect them to outgrow even a 350 in time (though not for a few years).

The link below gives an idea of how fast they grow on average (they should reach 2 feet in length around 7.5 years old on average; I'd guess from the pics that yours are somewhere around 2-3.5 years old):

OP
OP
kzenoni

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish grow to 30-36" long on average (four feet max length), so - while I'm definitely not an expert - I'd personally expect them to outgrow even a 350 in time (though not for a few years).

The link below gives an idea of how fast they grow on average (they should reach 2 feet in length around 7.5 years old on average; I'd guess from the pics that yours are somewhere around 2-3.5 years old):
Good to know. I’ve got a friend with a large saltwater pond that will eventually end up with them.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ridiculous these are sold.

IMO threads like these should be locked.

OP
OP
kzenoni

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree about the sale of these fish. Didn’t do my homework and was not informed by LFS at time of purchase. Glad I have the resources to tend to these beautiful fish but they do reach very large size and should not be sold to hobbyists. However do not agree that this thread should be locked. This site is very educational and maybe if had have read an article as this one my mistake might have been avoided. It’s all in perspective and I do love theses fish .

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 52 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back