Show me your bestest smallest fish (current or future)

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I've seen little of in the marine side of this hobby are good schools of the small fishes. For example the absolutely classic neon tetra is hard to beat in fresh water.
1712769661013.jpeg

Is there a comparable marine fish?

What are the shiniest best small schooling fish in your opinion?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schooling wise, you won’t see that often in the hobby as many “schooling” fish need huge tanks to be kept in groups. But there’s some that are compatible with each other and look gorgeous.

Marines are more so the showy fish when kept singularly or in pairs.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I've seen little of in the marine side of this hobby are good schools of the small fishes. For example the absolutely classic neon tetra is hard to beat in fresh water.
1712769661013.jpeg

Look up trimma gobies on the Biota page.

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schooling wise, you won’t see that often in the hobby as many “schooling” fish need huge tanks to be kept in groups. But there’s some that are compatible with each other and look gorgeous.

Marines are more so the showy fish when kept singularly or in pairs.
There have got to be some though surely!

Look up trimma gobies on the Biota page.
If your they're kind of interesting - do many different colors. They last only 6 months average though hah.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have got to be some though surely!

If your they're kind of interesting - do many different colors. They last only 6 months average though hah.
Trimma gobies I’ve had last 2 years previously but I did get them incredibly small.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of small reef fish are surprisingly territorial and don’t play well in groups.

Even tiny things like neon gobies demand comparatively enormous territory before they’ll accept a second one in the tank that’s not part of a mated pair.

Then there’s a few where either males or females will tolerate multiple of the same sex, but of those species many will spontaneously change sex into the sex that does NOT tolerate competition.

You can kinda manage “harem” type deals with some of these, where Conspecific aggression is distributed enough it shouldn’t kill fish as often, but that’s not great and doesn’t always work.

Leaving you, basically, with mollies, which can be had in freshwater, and chromis, which can be raging *******s to everything else in the tank and still might start killing each other off anyway.

Matt2939

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0808.jpeg
IMG_0809.jpeg

I like my little barnacle blennies. Lots of personality. And their little buggy eyes follow you anytime you walk past. They are the most excited at feeding time. They come out of their hiding spots and kind of bounce excitedly where the food usually falls. Edit: not a schooling fish though, just saw that part...

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of small reef fish are surprisingly territorial and don’t play well in groups.

Even tiny things like neon gobies demand comparatively enormous territory before they’ll accept a second one in the tank that’s not part of a mated pair.

Then there’s a few where either males or females will tolerate multiple of the same sex, but of those species many will spontaneously change sex into the sex that does NOT tolerate competition.

You can kinda manage “harem” type deals with some of these, where Conspecific aggression is distributed enough it shouldn’t kill fish as often, but that’s not great and doesn’t always work.

Leaving you, basically, with mollies, which can be had in freshwater, and chromis, which can be raging *******s to everything else in the tank and still might start killing each other off anyway.
Really nice info thanks. I was wondering when someone would meant mollies, but I was hoping to get better options before we got there haha.

IMG_0808.jpeg
IMG_0809.jpeg

I like my little barnacle blennies. Lots of personality. And their little buggy eyes follow you anytime you walk past. They are the most excited at feeding time. They come out of their hiding spots and kind of bounce excitedly where the food usually falls. Edit: not a schooling fish though, just saw that part...
Yeah they're cool! Lol at this little **** head haha!
Screenshot_20240411-035130.png

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1712769661013.jpeg

You might be shocked to hear that those aren't neon tetras...they are actually Cardinal tetras :) I have them in one of my planted tanks. Neons the red only covers half the body. Yes, I realize this adds nothing to your post lol.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know he will not STAY small, but I just love my little yellow watchman goby who is about 2 inches.
I love mine, if they didn’t get 4 inches they’d be perfect for any tank!
I love my Yasha Goby too.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most of the little salty guys are not schooling. In fact, they are usually very territorial. You get lucky to even have a peaceful mated pair.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back