To add more fish or not...

Kyleovski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what peoples opinions are in regards to adding a small schooling fish,
Namely the Red-spot Cardinalfish - Ostorhinchus parvulus, I am thinking of adding around 5.

Now really my question is do you think I'll run into any issues in regards to my stocking

Tank dimensions are 24"x24"24 cube roughly 40g with a total system vol including sump around 60 gal

Current fish list is
2x Ocellaris clownfish
1x tailspot blenny
1x yellow clown goby (about an inch big and hasnt grown in years)
1x Orange spot prawn goby
1x mandarin
1x royal gramma
1x priolepis boreus (hardly ever see this guy as he hangs upside down under the overhangs in my rock work

Currently I struggle to keep nutrients up, running a fuge alone with no filter socks or skimmer so I dont think the extra bioload would be an issue.

All of the current fish in the tank tend to already have their own areas in the tank but the mid to upper right side of the tank doesnt have much fish activity and I believe this is where these guys would most likely hang out.

Am I a madman?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a lot of fish for a 40g tank. The schooling fish aren't really going to have much space to "school." The clown and royal gramma are both very aggressive fish and guard their space. Those cardinals are very timid fish and don't do well with aggressive fish.

OP
OP
Kyleovski

Kyleovski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a lot of fish for a 40g tank. The schooling fish aren't really going to have much space to "school." The clown and royal gramma are both very aggressive fish and guard their space. Those cardinals are very timid fish and don't do well with aggressive fish.

Noted, maybe ill wait for the upgrade tank in a year or so

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back