What are some problems/issues with your tanks? That you have had as a consumer.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Alright, thanks.
I have been in and out of the hobby since 1990, and back in full time since 2020. I started culturing copepods and phytoplankton as I had several surgeries to repair the damage I have done to myself in construction over the last 24 years, and knew it was going to be difficult to purchase what I needed for my 7 systems. Then thought I could maybe make some money to help with things while I am down. I started small, but when I decided to take the plunge and become a sponsor I arranged a loan and revamped my setups. There is definitely a market, not sure how saturated it is. I can tell you that if you are going to do it right it takes a full time commitment as my wife and I are doing something every day and some days 16+ hours. I would love to be able to make a living at this, so I don’t have to go back to building (even though I am good and love what I create) as it’s pretty tough on guys my age. PM me if you want to explore this more. Happy to give some tips etc, but I believe if you want to be successful you may need to make some of the same mistakes that I have.

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a high school student who started this hobby about a year ago vigorously consuming the vast amount of knowledge this hobby contains. I am looking to increase my career through entrepreneurship as a source of income since I am very passionate about marine life and aquariums, so I was wandering if there are any problems you (The consumers) have or may faced in all your years of experience in reef keeping. Any tips at all would be greatly appreciated since I am new and serious about creating a small business.
I’m just getting going again after taking about 20 years off. While there has been significant progress and many technological advances since I last did this, the tech still all strikes me as being very primitive and in need of updating. For example, just take a look at the Neptune Systems Apex Fusion app. It’s gets the job done, but it’s like 80’s tech. It’s not surprising seeing how this is a very small business in the grand scheme of things. I would say there is room for enormous development in aquarium controllers, software, etc.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true. My tank is running almost 53 years and I don't have any gimmicks or recycled scams. As a matter of fact, I don't really use anything except food and some salt. Almost anything else you can make if you really need it but there is very little in this hobby that you really need as most of it is just marketing.

This is a very easy hobby, but we insist on making it hard. I am not sure why. I think most of the problems we make ourselves. The fish know how to take care of themselves if we just leave them alone and don't reach for some chemical, poison or device every time we see a spot or torn fin. :)
Outstanding Post!

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of clarification. Maybe I’m dumb but hey I have opinions lol. I read online that certain fish need sized tanks. For example a Picasso trigger. Online you see places saying they need a 180g tank. But what makes it the min requirement? Is it dimensions or its water volume or both? What about reef safe, non reef safe or reef safe with caution. Be more specific! Fish can be fine with inverts and not coral or the other way around. As a consumer I will likely go with the off brand option that is super similar to the expensive product. I don’t have 250 to spend on a maxpect gyre! Or flippin 600 bucks on a MP40! I would consider used tanks as a gripe of mine. There needs to be more info on how to properly plumb a tank! Either the original owner of my tank cheaped out or is crazy. Why are holes in my weir box sealed with a bulk head just to do the returns!!!!? It just makes me mad to see jobs half done.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Base rock arches. Frustrating when you are a new reefer. Almost every tank on here has them or wants them. No worry about shipping delays because they aren't live. Reefers will always need a rockscape.

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading few papers about BMC’s (Beneficial Microorganisms for Corals) today and could not for the life of me understand why RedSea, Fauna Marin, Brightwell and everyone else under the sun were not culturing these BMC’s and selling them. This paper basically gives you instructions on how to do it: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41396-018-0323-6

I’m no Biologist so I’m sure someone who is much smarter will tell me why it cannot be done commercially at scale but I think that’s going to be the next big revolution in the hobby. There is lots of good scientific literature with promising results and considering how prevalent STN/RTN have become, I’m sure it would fly off the shelves even if it’s expensive and needs to be shipped over night. The very best reefers are struggling with coral pathogens these days (Sanjay, Reefbum, Mike P, etc) and the response has (rightly or wrongly so) been to turn to antibiotics. This could be a great alternative, especially considering the recent restrictions on pet related antibiotics. Also there is the potential to do some restoration work with it and it would make a heck of a college essay “my work on culturing microorganisms to restore our planet’s reefs”

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly you need to have setup and maintained a reef in order to understand what is involved.
That takes time however and a mentor would help get you going in the right direction.
Imo getting advice from many will only create confusion.
At your age focus on maintaining a system first and grow all your frags into colonys. This will give you the perspective needed for future endevors.
Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back