Truncatoflabellum or similar

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the weekend whilst picking a some new corals I came across something quite unusual, something I never expected to see in a UK shop. My initial reaction was is that a Rhizotrochus?? It can't be surely! I asked the shop owner but he didn't know what it was. It didn't look like much at the time, quite retracted and probably overlooked by everybody else. I didn't hesitate to buy it though. After much research and consulting some other reefers we think it is possibly a Truncatoflabellum sp. What do you all think?

I don't have any great shots of it yet, I placed it on a rock at the bottom of the tank underneath the shade of a large gorgonian for the time being. This is how it looked the day after introduction.

Unknown190421.png
IMG_9508.JPG

And this is how it looked the following evening just as the lights were dimming down.

Unknown200421.png

It expands even more when the lights have gone out. Naturally I have never kept an NPS as large as this before, I have Tubastrea, Dendrophyllia etc. How much and how often should it be fed. Also where should I locate it? I understand that some Truncatoflabellum live in mud or silt. So should I put it in the sand and should it in the shade? I'm extremely unlikely to ever come across another so I want to provide the best I can for it. :D

OP
OP
LisaAP

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually looks closer to your first guess of rhizotrochus to me. It’s a very nice coral either way!

Yes perhaps, I'm not that familiar with this family tbh. Now that it's expanded it certainly looks like some of the Rhizotrochus photos that have been posted. This is how it looked last night:

Unknownnps240421.png

I'm curious about the ID but ultimately it can be anything, I don't really care, as long as I can provide the correct care. :)

OP
OP
LisaAP

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely beautiful coral! Well done on caring for it so well... what have you been feeding it?
Thanks! It's pretty easy to care for. I offer it PE/RS Mysis, Krill, bits of cockle etc on a daily basis. Little and often, rather than one big meal. It seems happy with that. :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back