Trying another PBT eventually?

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. When we started our 125 my wife wanted a powder blue tang. It's one of her favorite fish. We got a very healthy one and had it for quite a while. It was a good 5 or 6 inches. Unfortunately as usual, we couldn't put anything in the tank after we added it, so we sold it.

I added an orange shoulder tang to our tank without really asking her. It's done wonderful and is peaceful. She's wishing we had a PBT again. I know with the orange shoulder, we won't have room for it in a 125, but I'm thinking about selling the orange shoulder.

If we get a small PBT, would it be a little easier adding things with it being in the tank from a juvie, or will it not really matter? I know each fish is different, but yeah. Thanks!

kyle38

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like if the PBT was smaller and the last fish added you might have a chance but it’s never a sure thing for any 2 tangs to get along i have no experience with orange shoulder tangs and they’re attitudes outta definitely have a back up plan/someway to separate them if it goes bad. I feel your pain though I love my powder blue but it’s definitely bipolar always has been from 2” to about 6.5” he is now, Ive tried all kinds of tricks it’s still hit or miss with any fish I’ve tried no matter what it is it how big/small it is

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone. When we started our 125 my wife wanted a powder blue tang. It's one of her favorite fish. We got a very healthy one and had it for quite a while. It was a good 5 or 6 inches. Unfortunately as usual, we couldn't put anything in the tank after we added it, so we sold it.

I added an orange shoulder tang to our tank without really asking her. It's done wonderful and is peaceful. She's wishing we had a PBT again. I know with the orange shoulder, we won't have room for it in a 125, but I'm thinking about selling the orange shoulder.

If we get a small PBT, would it be a little easier adding things with it being in the tank from a juvie, or will it not really matter? I know each fish is different, but yeah. Thanks!
Think hard on a PBT. I have 25 tangs and tangs over a few decades and PBT is by far one the nasiest and greediest tangs you will encounter. Same with Sohal and many clown tangs

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think hard on a PBT. I have 25 tangs and tangs over a few decades and PBT is by far one the nasiest and greediest tangs you will encounter. Same with Sohal and many clown tangs
I was thinking it wouldn't be worth trying again. It was such a beautiful fish, the one we had. But geeze it was mean

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Young are usually good. As they mature is when that get nasty. I I have seen ones that were very behaved too. Fish, tank size, scape and other fish can have an effect on how it behaves

If you want one try but get young and be prepared to remove it iwhen it becomes a problem. Also don’t add the pbt until you have all other fish

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's always been my thing with "be sure it's the last fish". Eventually you're gonna want to add something or something die and you want to replace it. That makes me think another one wouldn't be good and we should probably keep the orange shoulder

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back