Trying my hand at growing phytoplankton

  • Thread starter Thread starter BriDroid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BriDroid

I glue animals to rocks.
View Badges
Joined
Aug 2, 2024
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
2,315
Location
Prosper, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up some super healthy nanno phyto locally and thought, I can grow that. The lady I got it from said that it’s been growing great for her. It’s originally from Algae Barn as a mixed blend, but it’s pretty obvious that it’s all, or mostly nanno by now. Off to Amazon for an air pump and some cheap grow LEDs. Let’s see how it goes!

200ml phyto, 2L Pro-Reef mixed to 1.019, and 2ml F2.

IMG_2322.jpeg
 
Congrats on growing your own!
 
Update please 😆
 
Update please 😆
Tomorrow is 1 week, it’s nice and dark green. I’m probably going to harvest the first time tomorrow. I actually have some single species phyto coming soon, some Nannochloropsis and Thalassiosira Weissflogii. I figured I’d grow them in separate containers and then combine them 50/50 when I refrigerate and dose.
 
Tomorrow is 1 week, it’s nice and dark green. I’m probably going to harvest the first time tomorrow. I actually have some single species phyto coming soon, some Nannochloropsis and Thalassiosira Weissflogii. I figured I’d grow them in separate containers and then combine them 50/50 when I refrigerate and dose.
I grow the main 3 separately and then combine to feed to tanks and pods. Just know that some types don't store as well. Also, be careful cross contaminating the phyto. You want to keep things separate and safe.
 
Did my first 1 week harvest. I want it a little darker next time.

I did move to a 1 gallon glass jar and mixed up 3L this time with 300ml of nanno from the last culture. I added a little more F2 this time too, 1.5ml per liter. We’ll see how this round goes.
IMG_2349.jpeg
IMG_2351.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new