Trying my hand at sps, what do you think!

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered some sps and have questions. Never kept corals and the queen angel might eat them but here we go they were super cheap. I am not new to saltwater, not at all just always been a fish guy. They are going in a 235 gallon aquarium that currently has kalkwasser in autotopoff and all levels of everything are super consistent. If i become successful enough to have the corals grow to the point that kalk isnt enough, ill dose. Small dyno problem because no matter how much food I dump in there the nitrates stay at 1 and phosphate at 0.0. Very high powered light in a very large refugium, but I only run it a few hours a week on the lowest setting to keep the chaeto alive. I honestly have no clue where the nitrates could possibly be going. There is no algae in the tank except for a thin layer of dynos on the sand.

My question is about water changes while they are in the frag tank. And any advice you see relevant. If you post about how I'm stupid for trying sps first and how I am an idiot for putting coral with an angelfish. I don't care. I have heard that acros especially are very finicky on changing water parameters like alk and calcium. When I do a water change in the small frag tank, these levels are going to change instantly. Is this going to be an issue? I can match the salinity and temp but the whole point is to raise the calcium and alk so it will be different.

Also I don't do water changes and I will not be doing water changes in the big tank. Not opposed to ICP testing with triton but it is way too much water and I build my system around no water changes. If this can't work with sps, they will have to go! I am willing to take that risk have nothing to lose!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i would suggest getting a cheap/hardy sps and while you try your hand at keeping this sps, you try and figure out why your no3/po4 are limited to such amounts.

for success at sps, you need to get those number up for those two.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a birdsnest, 3 Montes, 1 the thing acropora, a couple cyphastria, a couple lepto, and a pavona. Most were 5 to 10 bucks but I figure I have my bases covered for what will work.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look in the for sale forum to see if anyone is selling chunks of tort coral or green slimer, super hardy and you can usually get pretty big sizes for 30-60 dollars, I mean like full mini colonies. These are perfect test pieces in a newer tank as angelfish can be aggressive on polyps and larger colonies are usually more stable, good luck reefing

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops thought u meant acros, yea other sps corals arent nearly as hard to keep ime

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look in the for sale forum to see if anyone is selling chunks of tort coral or green slimer, super hardy and you can usually get pretty big sizes for 30-60 dollars, I mean like full mini colonies. These are perfect test pieces in a newer tank as angelfish can be aggressive on polyps and larger colonies are usually more stable, good luck reefing
The for sale forum on this site or another? I have looked some bit not sure I am going to the right place.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes the, live stock for sale section. It is a great place to get corals from people with a lot of experience. A lot of acros need high intermittent direct flow so make sure you have some nice water movement as well

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the setup, not sure what the par is. They are offbrand lights from Amazon but seem to have decent power.

Attachments

• 20211117_183141.jpg
    20211117_183141.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 33

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i would also throw in 2-4 powerheads depending on price, for the best lower price for a decent brand IMO would be 2 maxspect jump 4k. You will probably need to add some other smaller pumps to the back glass near the overflow for extra flow and detritus pick up as well

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those look like viparspectra or something so they should be fine, par is hard to guess with them though, they put out a lot

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i would also throw in 2-4 powerheads depending on price, for the best lower price for a decent brand IMO would be 2 maxspect jump 4k. You will probably need to add some other smaller pumps to the back glass near the overflow for extra flow and detritus pick up as well
I am thinking about 1 4k ice cap gyro pump. Not sure I can handle more cords than that!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 78.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back