Trying to ask again, what makes Euphyllia flat, stubby, with open mouths? Torch and hammer showing mouths?

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted once before on this, but they are still doing it, and I havnt gotten any responses. I have done mutliple water changes and still no change. I cant figure it out. I have seen one or two others with this problem on old forums and they never posted updates and no solutions anywhere. My Euphyllia are all creating this flat region, with mouths showing. All of their tentacles are stubbier and not as long. They arent retracting necessarily they are just stubbier. All my Euphyllia, all 8 of them are doing this.
All my SPS are normal, my acans normal, my mushrooms and zoas look fine. I know its not a disease or they would be dying.

What i have tried.
Water changes.
Feeding directly
Changing flow, both increasing and decreasing. Even bought a new MP10 to do reef crest and lagoon mode flow. No changes
Bought a par meter- averaging between 60-100 par on all of them.

My water parameters seem fine.....I tested myself then took it info a LFS to have them test.
Salinity- 1.026 aka 35
Ph- 8.2
Alk- 9.2
Cal- somewhere between 380 and 450. My API shows 390 ish, and my red sea shows 450.
Mag- 1330
Nitrates- ranges from 6 to 13
Phosphate- ranges from 0.08 to 0.15

Nothing is jumping out as a problem. I even tried dosing healthy bacteria, tried dosing trace minerals. tried reef roids. tried rods coral food. they are accepting food. but still doing the wierd flatness. Someone has to know whats happening.

In the images its hammers and a torch. but all of mine are doing same thing. its so unnatural looking, especially the torch, he used to be so flowy and long tentacles.

flat hammer 2.jpg
flat torch.jpg
flat hammer.jpg

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a very long post. Try running carbon. Can you try more lighting?

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted once before on this, but they are still doing it, and I havnt gotten any responses. I have done mutliple water changes and still no change. I cant figure it out. I have seen one or two others with this problem on old forums and they never posted updates and no solutions anywhere. My Euphyllia are all creating this flat region, with mouths showing. All of their tentacles are stubbier and not as long. They arent retracting necessarily they are just stubbier. All my Euphyllia, all 8 of them are doing this.
All my SPS are normal, my acans normal, my mushrooms and zoas look fine. I know its not a disease or they would be dying.

What i have tried.
Water changes.
Feeding directly
Changing flow, both increasing and decreasing. Even bought a new MP10 to do reef crest and lagoon mode flow. No changes

My water parameters seem fine.....I tested myself then took it info a LFS to have them test.
Salinity- 1.026 aka 35
Ph- 8.2
Alk- 9.2
Cal- somewhere between 380 and 450. My API shows 390 ish, and my red sea shows 450.
Mag- 1330

Nothing is jumping out as a problem. I even tried dosing healthy bacteria, tried dosing trace minerals. tried reef roids. tried rods coral food. they are accepting food. but still doing the wierd flatness. Someone has to know whats happening.

In the images its hammers and a torch. but all of mine are doing same thing. its so unnatural looking, especially the torch, he used to be so flowy and long tentacles.

flat hammer 2.jpg
flat torch.jpg
flat hammer.jpg
So what par do you have the torch at? And they definitely like more flow. Hammers just like to sway.

As previously stated run carbon.

I don’t directly feed my hammers.

What does the tissue on the skeleton look like?

I wouldn’t use API test for anything

How quickly did you go through that list of stuff you tried?
How long were they doing good before this happened?

Better photos in white light if you don’t have a filter for your camera

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, your parameters don’t seem to be the problem unless they are fluctuating. You seemed to have tried what I would have suggested. I’m sticking around to see if you find an answer, good luck.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60-100 PAR isn't much. Nothing else jumps out at me.

I would run my alk lower than 9.2 dKH, but I know some people keep it that high or higher.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a very long post. Try running carbon. Can you try more lighting?
sure ill bump up the lighting when i get home. i have some carbon i can try that. i actually two days ago put this thing this filter pad thing that is supposed to leach out medications,metals, and contaminates. poly pad or something like that. i was worried there was some contaminate causing it. (but why wouldnt it affect the other corals) so wierd.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, your parameters don’t seem to be the problem unless they are fluctuating. You seemed to have tried what I would have suggested. I’m sticking around to see if you find an answer, good luck.
thanks, there are numbers of posts on multiple forums with people with this same problem and no solutions, no one with the problem followed up with answers on what fixed it (or killed them). so ill try to be the first if and when i figure it out.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what par do you have the torch at? And they definitely like more flow. Hammers just like to sway.

i can try to take some better photos. but you get the gist, just making this wierd flatness and leaving mouth open. its so strange. especially considering all my other corals look great.

As previously stated run carbon.- i tried for about 4 days, no changes, then i just 2 days ago swapped to a poly pad which is supposed to remove metals and medications and contaminates. ill see if that helps

I don’t directly feed my hammers.- I wasnt until this problem. in my mind i equated a open mouth to hunger. just total guessing and seeing what sticks

How quickly did you go through that list of stuff you tried?- ummm id say over course of about 2-3 weeks trying different things out.

How long were they doing good before this happened?- tank is about 6 months old. they were doing great until this happened. honestly they started doing this after i did a big water change. i began to think it was my salt. it was instant ocean. so last week i went out and bought a new salt. red sea coral pro. I read you cant swap salts quickly. so now im doing like 15 to 20% changes once a week until i swap to new salt in case thats the problem.

thanks for taking time btw

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What i have tried.
Water changes.
Feeding directly

Salinity- 1.026 aka 35
Ph- 8.2
Alk- 9.2
Mag- 1330

flat hammer 2.jpg
flat torch.jpg
flat hammer.jpg
I'm not seeing a problem. Corals change their shape for a number of reasons, and most of them are not a problem. I'm sorry the corals don't look the way you prefer them to, but if they seem healthy, I wouldn't worry about it.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
um about 6 months, some may be 4 months. one torch is 2 days old
So if they were happy before for that long I wouldn’t go making crazy adjustments. You could ramp your light up….but not all at once.

You could try moving them to an area with higher par instead.

How long between each previous adjust did you wait?

How often do you test?

Do you auto dose anything?
Do you dose anything at all?

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing a problem. Corals change their shape for a number of reasons, and most of them are not a problem. I'm sorry the corals don't look the way you prefer them to, but if they seem healthy, I wouldn't worry about it.
really? hmm... maybe time will tell. if they go back to the way they used to look then something was probably wrong. if they stay this way then maybe so. its just odd that they all did it at the same time. recently after i did a water change. hmmm.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really? hmm... maybe time will tell. if they go back to the way they used to look then something was probably wrong. if they stay this way then maybe so. its just odd that they all did it at the same time. recently after i did a water change. hmmm.
If they go back to the way they used to look, that doesn't mean something was wrong.
Maybe it WAS the water change... Unless you tested the new saltwater prior to adding it, you don't know if there were inconsistencies in the ingredients... Many times salt mixes can separate to a degree and if the original container isn't manually mixed up before adding the dry salt to new RODI, parameters can be off. Not to the extent that it's harmful, but it's possible a "big water change" altered the tank chemistry enough to make the corals react.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they go back to the way they used to look, that doesn't mean something was wrong.
Maybe it WAS the water change... Unless you tested the new saltwater prior to adding it, you don't know if there were inconsistencies in the ingredients... Many times salt mixes can separate to a degree and if the original container isn't manually mixed up before adding the dry salt to new RODI, parameters can be off. Not to the extent that it's harmful, but it's possible a "big water change" altered the tank chemistry enough to make the corals react.
thats what i was thinking. i was thinking either
A.) some sort of parameter im not seeing
B.) maybe some like iron levels or some wierd metal or mineral was high

It was cheap salt too, instant ocean. i was reading how instant ocean doesnt have great standards. so just last week i purchased a bucket of red sea coral pro. its just i read you cant swap salts just like that, it has to be slow and gradual....so thats the plan for now.....

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I recorded a video this morning so you can see. My newest torch is now doing it too. He wasn’t at first now he is too. You can see his mouth in center and making a flat area around it. It’s so wierdddd. I’m stumped. I lm slowly swapping salts. Did another 20% water change last night. Doing one a week till I swap over. I also dipped the candy cane torch in both revive in case it’s pests and iodine in case it bacteria. So far no change. And I didn’t see any pests.

Attachments

• IMG_2356.mov
    13.8 MB

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 57 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back