Trying to decide on what type of sand to use.

JMLewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to decide on using either the Caribbean Sea Special Grade Reef sand or Fiji Pink.

I'm currently working on a new 66g 32 x 24 x 20 cube that will have 2 x mp40s attached to back wall 95% SPS. I like to keep a good amount of flow in the tank. I'm planning on keeping it shallow between 1-2 inches. I'll be vacuuming it with water changes and want to avoid sand storms.

I can get the Fiji pink locally and would need to order the special grade.

Wanted to see what you opinions are on either brand.

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love sand. Don't get me wrong. But having an sps tank with fine sand creates a lot of problems when trying to optimize flow. If you want to try sand id say go with something of a larger particle size; it will reduce the risk of sand storms and will allow you to put more flow where you want it without worrying about shifting the sand around. I know this may not fit into either of your chosen brands but I feel it is worth considering.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tropic eden reefflakes is probably "the" best sand and used by many a reefer. premium aquatics is the only place its available....as far as I know.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would defanitly go with the larger particle size. Especially if you plan on regular vacuuming.

shovelhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into gravel also for high flow and vacuuming. I've seen some nice tanks with small gravel substrate.

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef flakes will not stay put in that tank. That's what I have, it's nice but I should have gone with a larger grain. I have 3 mp40s in a 100 gal. Pumps are at 85-90%

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef flakes will not stay put in that tank. That's what I have, it's nice but I should have gone with a larger grain. I have 3 mp40s in a 100 gal. Pumps are at 85-90%

well, our experience differs. i have 3 mp40s in my 120 and not a problem for me. I also dont run my mp40s less than 6" from the bottom of tank.
TE also make a larger grain, if thats what ya need.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a high flow tank I would go with sand at least 2mm in size or larger, if not and you'll get a sand storm. I love sand personally bc of the natural feel it gives a tank but it doesn't always cooperate with high flow SPS tanks.

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, our experience differs. i have 3 mp40s in my 120 and not a problem for me. I also dont run my mp40s less than 6" from the bottom of tank.
TE also make a larger grain, if thats what ya need.

That's cool. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I have a sand storm, but there's 2 spots on my tank where I get a bald spot;)

Front right I can't keep sand there....

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rovster totally undertand. I thought you were saying you had a sandstorm going on! honestly I think even with a larger grain, youd still have less sand there. maybe not a bald spot, but a depression/less sand. that MP40 looks pretty low/close to the sand bed as well(4" maybe). your tank looks great, so keep doing what youre doing, but possibly try to mount that lower one just a bit higher, or limit its speed at 75%, might help.

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about 10 inches off the bottom. Any higher and it sucks air in a whirlpool and blows bubbles everywhere;)

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about 10 inches off the bottom. Any higher and it sucks air in a whirlpool and blows bubbles everywhere;)

oh i know all about the air bubble, surface sucking whirlpool. 10"? maybe im missing somethign, but it looks like there is two MP40s on the right side of that pic, one much lower than the other.

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the pic, the second one is out of view. Maybe you're seeing the magnet of the frag rack....

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 120 81.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back