How to swap out sand safely

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to exchange the sand in my 5 foot tank for a different type. Is that possible and how would it be done on an established tank? I want to keep my inverts, fish and rock work but replace the sand. I originally had CaribSea Special Sand (0.5mm - 6.5mm) but over 18 months it isn’t a look I want. Would prefer a switch to CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade sand (1mm - 2mm).

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to exchange the sand in my 5 foot tank for a different type. Is that possible and how would it be done on an established tank? I want to keep my inverts, fish and rock work but replace the sand. I originally had CaribSea Special Sand (0.5mm - 6.5mm) but over 18 months it isn’t a look I want. Would prefer a switch to CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade sand (1mm - 2mm).
You’ll likely go through the uglies again. Is it worth it?

OP
OP
S

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an alternative:

I could scoop up some sand and pass it through a sieve to separate bigger bits I don’t want. Also try to wash away some “fines” And then mix in a new bag.

or I can divide the tank with a glass Refugium plate in the middle and work on one side and then, later, the other side.

Some folks don’t use any sand or have removed it. How do their tanks function?

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped out my sand a few years ago. What I did was siphon it out during water changes. I started on one side of the tank and with each water change I moved farther towards the opposite side. I figured it would be less of an impact if I did it this way and I did not have any issues during the process. I replaced the sand I removed with the new sand each time. Worked great

OP
OP
S

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the new sand “live” or did you condition it in any way? New sand is promoted as live but I think they mean wet because to dry it wouldn’t be an easy task. By replacing it in stages seems a bit like partial water changes - small changes go unnoticed? Yhr Carabsea sand I like is very dusty without washing (that’s not too efficient) . I am tempted to just pull out the ugly bits by hand which just leaves some very fine sand. I imagined that all the existing bacteria was either in the water column, n the rocks, in bio balls and not use the sand.

OP
OP
S

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to get rid of Cyano and I have scaled back some of the triggers: turned lights down and reduced the cycle time. My Refugium light is now on longer (when main light is off). Also reduced the number of frozen blocks at meal times. My water movement is much increased and Return Pump speed is also increased.

At one point NO4 and PO4 crashed to zero - not helpful but they are back at 8 ppm and 0.06 ppm. DkH is 7.9 - not chasing numbers but these sit comfortably in my “happy” limits that I use.

I look at the sand and see some bigger Mini rocks which I scooped out. When I stir up the sand there is a fine dust that I also don’t want. This will helpfully get filtered out by my ReefMa.

so, I’m no longer considering a swap out of the sand.

Simon

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back