OP
2Wheelsonly

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@2Wheelsonly Under white light does any of it look like snot? If so then take a sample of it and do the paper towel test talked about in the first post of the link Jason mack posted above. It is stickied to this forum too. It's the same test I described only I forgot to mention to pour the sample through a paper towel when you put it in the glass after shaking it up. If it doesn't look like that or it doesn't clump, then you don't have dinos. Looks like you have at least GHA.

@ReefJake123 Do you currently have an algae you want ID'ed or help with to get rid of?

Dinos will have a snot like appearance. I could see it being described as brown jelly too. Furry green is green hair algae (GHA). Sounds like you may more than one type of algae growth.

The thread posted earlier by Jason mack above is the most comprehensive. Start with the first post. All of you questions can be answered there in as much or little detail as you are looking for. But you get them when you bottom out NO3 and PO4 for about a week or longer. Keep in mind test kits only show inorganic forms so no organic NO3 or PO4 will be detected. And the resolution and accuracy of the kit matters too. API kits don't have enough of either for NO3 or PO4. The reason reducing nutrients doesn't kill dinos is because they can switch to bacteriavores during low nutrient conditions. By eating the bacteria, they get their nutrients and are able to continue to multiply and grow. Dino blooms usually occur with high light intensity and duration too because as lighting increases nutrient uptake increases too. So if their isn't enough in the water, then they switch to bacteriavores to compensate. I've read through it all so if you don't want to read through and have some specific questions I'd be happy to help. Just got done beating them back myself.

I don't see anything that I would consider snot or stringy with bubbles; I get this brown dusting on the glass and have traces of bubble algae, GHA and red cyano in parts of my sandbed (directly under pumps near sides where flow is low).

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason Mack - as you said "dinos appear when nitrate and phosphate bottom out..." mine have ( 0 on Hanna and 0 nitrate salifert ) then I had 2 older fish die.BOOM dinos appeared. However I still grow Chaeto , green bubble algea, had some grape calerpa popped up in the DT , glass needs cleaning ever 3-4 days. My acros are doing well except for a couple pieces that have dinos on them. Not sure what to do...

They grow even with no nutrients registering on the test kits because test kits don't detect organic sources only inorganic. Algae can use nutrients from either source but some are better at using inorganic than others. It you have dinos, then check k out the dino sticky and raise your nutrients to the suggested levels from the first post. Add some GAC to help get rid of any toxins the dinos are producing. That may explain the fish lose, or you have a disease, difficult for me to tell at this point. Does the dino build up on things get worse throughout the day and seem to be at a minimum in the morning?

@ReefJake123 GHA will be eaten by snails, stands, and bennies if you are interested in any of those options. Algae growth is a sign of a healthy reef so it's a good thing. What are you nutrient level, tank size, and what and how many algae eaters do you currently have?

@2Wheelsonly Sounds like you don't have dinos at this point. You can try to increase the flow in the dead spots to help with the cyano. Cerith snails are great for keeping the sand clean and eat GHA and cyano. Bubble is another thing though. Some tangs eat it, assuming your tank is large enough. Emerald carbs can but are hit and miss, plus you have an unpredictable carb that will eventually eat something you don't want it too. Females are supposed to be more reef friendly.

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They grow even with no nutrients registering on the test kits because test kits don't detect organic sources only inorganic. Algae can use nutrients from either source but some are better at using inorganic than others. It you have dinos, then check k out the dino sticky and raise your nutrients to the suggested levels from the first post. Add some GAC to help get rid of any toxins the dinos are producing. That may explain the fish lose, or you have a disease, difficult for me to tell at this point. Does the dino build up on things get worse throughout the day and seem to be at a minimum in the morning?

@ReefJake123 GHA will be eaten by snails, stands, and bennies if you are interested in any of those options. Algae growth is a sign of a healthy reef so it's a good thing. What are you nutrient level, tank size, and what and how many algae eaters do you currently have?

@2Wheelsonly Sounds like you don't have dinos at this point. You can try to increase the flow in the dead spots to help with the cyano. Cerith snails are great for keeping the sand clean and eat GHA and cyano. Bubble is another thing though. Some tangs eat it, assuming your tank is large enough. Emerald carbs can but are hit and miss, plus you have an unpredictable carb that will eventually eat something you don't want it too. Females are supposed to be more reef friendly.

Ok so I have a 13.5 nano reef I have snails hermits an emerald crab I am currently trying hydrogen peroxide to get rid of it bc it looks horrible in my opinion my nutrients are all great and I’ve tried everything

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The right snails will eat it if you have enough. My astrea and cerith snails even eat the long stuff. How many and what kind of snails do you have? If they don't make a dent, then get more. Most people say the hermits don't do a whole lot because they are so small.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like the GHA's growth rate is exceeding the appetite of you CUC. I recommend adding more until you see it slowly start to get eaten faster than it grows or a little slower. Maybe try some other types if you are bored with the types you have now and add some variation.

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like the GHA's growth rate is exceeding the appetite of you CUC. I recommend adding more until you see it slowly start to get eaten faster than it grows or a little slower. Maybe try some other types if you are bored with the types you have now and add some variation.

Ok I’ll try to get some more soon thank you

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 97 76.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back