Trying to ID the type of copper in my water

spicychicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings everyone! This is my first post ever on reef2reef, I've been lurking for years marveling at everyone's setups, and recently decided to take the plunge from freshwater tanks to my first fowlr setup. I hope to include coral someday.

Anyways, about 2 months ago I built a setup that includes a 30 gallon display and 20 gallon sump. I obtained about 50 lbs or so of live rock from a friend of mine, and successfully cycled the tank. I'm using RODI water with Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and maintain about 1.025-1.024 salinity (if this matters). Throughout the cycling process, I've been buying an practicing using Salifert water test kits. Copper was among the ones that I've purchased. The first time I used the Cu test, I registered around .50-1 (I think the range is ppm? The box doesn't specify). I am a plumber by trade, and discovered that one of my small children (toddlers) dropped a small brass fitting into the rockwork near the back. I didn't discover it until recently because I've been leaving lights off for now. From what I understand, this is within the therapeutic ranges for a QT, but not desirable in a display system. My questions are:

1. What kind of copper is this; chealated or ionic copper?

2. Would running carbon and cuprisorb be an adequate solution to this problem?

3. The problem remains after large water changes (95%), is the copper forever in my system?

Sorry for the long winded question, just wanted to get as much detail as possible in my post.

OP
OP
S

spicychicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuprisorb will pull out any type of copper.
I would use it or buy boyds polyfilter pads for heavy metals.
Awesome, I was hoping that was the case. I just added their pre bagged 100ml filter packet a couple hours ago. Hopefully this won't have any long lasting effects. I noticed the few inverts that came in my live rock died unfortunately, that's what got me testing every parameter I could think of

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running carbon or cuprasorb should do it.

You got the fitting out, right?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 117 74.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back