trying to identify macro algae and bug, reef tank.

myles4miles

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 29, 2025
Messages
133
Reaction score
51
Location
San Diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seeing if anyone could ID these for me, if u know what they are. 1 weird bug I've never seen before and 2 weird seaweeds, and are either of them a big problem, for the seaweed, I try to clean as much out as I can on my weekly water changes.
IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

YouTube short below is the bug.

 
The "bug" in the video looks to me to be an amphipod, which is a small crustacean that's very beneficial and a sign of a healthy tank. related to copepods, these guys do a great job keeping the tank clean, and provide a live food for many fish.

The macro algae in the middle could be a type of Halimeda, though I can't be sure.

I have no idea what that green blob may be, but I'm sure someone will know 🤪

Good luck!
 
The "bug" in the video looks to me to be an amphipod, which is a small crustacean that's very beneficial and a sign of a healthy tank. related to copepods, these guys do a great job keeping the tank clean, and provide a live food for many fish.

The macro algae in the middle could be a type of Halimeda, though I can't be sure.

I have no idea what that green blob may be, but I'm sure someone will know 🤪

Good luck!
Thank you, I think the green blob grew under the sand if that helps.
 
Second algae is Caulerpa Racemosa (or Peltata)

which is illegal to own in the state of California.

I suggest you freeze it in a small bag and dispose of it
 
Second algae is Caulerpa Racemosa (or Peltata)

which is illegal to own in the state of California.

I suggest you freeze it in a small bag and dispose of it
illegal to own.
I didn't buy it
Why, is it just invasive?
 
illegal to own.
I didn't buy it
Why, is it just invasive?
yup, super invasive.

yea it's illegal to buy and sell, now to own ALL species of Caulerpa. previously, some species like Prolifera were okay to own, but now all under the Caulerpa Genus are illegal to own.

They always keep finding patches in local waters. The worst being Caulerpa Taxifolia.
 
I think the green blob is an oyster thief (Colpomenia peregrina) for anyone wondering.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new