Trying to pinpoint a problem...need help please!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I am pretty new to the hobby (I've had only 1 nano tank before this one) and started a 10 gallon nano about a month and a half ago. I started stocking it with just several shrimp and a sun coral (I now have a fish, hermit crabs, and a small clam). I added a frag of zoas a month ago and they did fine for a week or so but after the first week they wouldn't open and eventually shrunk and died completely. Its been 2 or 3 weeks since they died and I'd like to try adding more corals but want to find the possible problem first. It might be my pH (about 7.8) because its a little low plus at that time I had trouble keeping the temperature down so the pH probably dropped lower even. Everything else tested fine...What do you guys think???

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 month is not long in the greater scheme of things.
What was temp when high? Are you testing? What are the results? Lights?
Can't diagnose without help from you.
You know sun corals need to be fed individually.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To best answer this question I think we need more info ideally a full list of parameters including alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, nitrates, phosphates. Also some info on the lighting you are using can give us some clues on what’s happening.

I wouldn’t worry to much about ph so long as it reads somewhere near 8 and is consistent at that range.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you add anything, you must have your tank stable. The biggest issue with nano reefs is stability. Get your temp stable with a temp controller, Get your sg stable with an ato. These 2 things are a must for keeping corals in a nano tank. Get a reef test kit and make sure all your essentials are within range; ca, alk, mg, and ph is a given.

Do your research on your corals, a clam is never going to make it in a nano. Sun corals are nps corals and require target feeding, and are very difficult. Once you understand the care of the corals you are interested in, you'll decide if your tank and expertise can handle their care.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back