Trying to start again

WesMeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a bad start last time and end result of having to sell off everything I had, I am now starting again. This time, I plan on doing it right. I am going to start small with a 10 gallon and make my way up. That being the case, I am in need of some equipment. I am looking for refractometer, lighting, glass top or hood- maybe canopy, and various other essential things to succeed. If you have anything or know of someone who might, all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

mattmorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank for sale

I have a oceanic Biocube 15 gallon for sale. Tank has built in sump with NEW UV sterilizer, NEW Protein skimmer, used return pump. I took out the faulty factory lights and ballast and installed a custom LED panel. i have pics if you want to see it, text me at 423-316-0967 if interested.

This is plenty of light for zoas,mushrooms, and other medium light corals. I will include the sand if you want it.. tank is full of cycled water already if you want it. its been running empty for 3 months now with only sand and a couple pieced of rock in it. $250 FOR LOCAL PICKUP ONLY... i CAN SHIP FOR ADDITIONAL COST.

Keep in mind the smaller the tank the harder it is to balance out the water quality and maintain it. Slight fluctuations will cause major issues and will impact the tank. tanks under 30 gallons, is my rule of thumb, are hard to maintain.

whatever tank you go with make sure your patient and that you make sure the water is cycled before you add livestock... either add your rock up front all at the same time and wait for the cycle to complete or prep it in a separate tank at your home before you put it in your tank. every time you add rock there is bio load changes from organisms dying off... allot of newbies don't realize that and it cause ammonia, and nitrate spikes which affects your fish and corals. whatever you do , be paitent and good luck...

matt

EvilMel

doesn't click links
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon is a really bad size to start with. Things happen fast in a tank that small. You'll be topping off every day and if things start to go south, they'll go south quick.

Having said that, if things go south in a 10g tank you can easily water change half the volume.

If you're wanting something relatively foolproof to start with, why not consider one of the ~30g biocube/nanocubes (there's a few different manufacturers)? You can usually find them on Craiglist or someone selling on one of these sites. Check the Knoxville and Nashville sales forums because they're way more active and not too far away from you.

OP
OP
W

WesMeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a 20 gallon tank. I got the glass top and light for it. Just missing filter/ protein skimmer/ sump. Let me know if anyone has one or knows someone who does. Thanks

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back