Starting with Fritz turbo start 900?

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I am starting my very first tank and I am planning to cycle the tank with this product. My LFS and some youtube video mentioned you can add a fish right after adding this product, as I believe this is the nitrifying bacteria and can handle the ammonia in water which harms the fish. I am also planning to using wet live rock from my LFS and probably packaged caribsea sand. And I am getting the first batch of saltwater from LFS though I doubt that will make a difference.

My question is will the wet rock and Fritz turbo start 900 enough to keep the tank safe or I have to wait/add ammonia? The fish choice I am planning to add is a single Tomini tang as it's a smaller size algae eater. Two things about the tang though, this is a fowlr tank and I do plan to add butterflies, especially copperband after the tank is fully matured, will the tang be too territorial and attack them? And just tangs in general are they too finnicky to keep alive? Thanks in advance for any help.

Tank size: 1200 x 500 x 450mm (47.2" x 19.7" x 17.7")

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A decent amount of wet rock is all you need. Skip the bottled bac.

OP
OP
sweetcoralina

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A decent amount of wet rock is all you need. Skip the bottled bac.
So technically I can add hardier fish right away? I always thought wet rock just make the cycle faster, especially I am using packaged sand which I don't think is really "live" like the rock?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do too frequently but I let it settle for 2 days to be on safe side.

Rock, saltwater, flow, sand, bacteria and/or some LR +2 days.

I don’t even test ammonia/nitrite anymore.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock is where where majority of nitrifying bac reside. The bacteria doesn't care which container you put it in.

Recent R2R studies have shown that live bagged sand is also surprisingly effective in terms of processing ammonia, which prior to this we mostly assumed it wasn't all that beneficial for cycling.

Yes, if you are adding live rock from your LFS tank then you would skip the cycling process. But you still want to stock slowly.

OP
OP
sweetcoralina

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im on week 3 using fritz 9 (not turbo) and 2 clown’s in a 53 gal tank, used dry rock and live sand as well. Zero ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as of right now.
Did you add the clowns right away(same day) or waited awhile after adding fritz 9?

OP
OP
sweetcoralina

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do too frequently but I let it settle for 2 days to be on safe side.
Does Fritz turbo start need ammonia like Dr Tim after you add it? As I believe the whole point of adding a fish is giving the tang ammonia.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Fritz turbo start need ammonia like Dr Tim after you add it? As I believe the whole point of adding a fish is giving the tang ammonia.
Sure, but once is fine.
I didn’t, but no harm in that.
Resist overloading the system, easier to do in those begining weeks, slow and steady, and the bio-filter will grow proportionately
It’s not going to make a difference in 2 days.

gvincent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add the clowns right away(same day) or waited awhile after adding fritz 9?
They were added the same day, probably 30 minutes apart from dosing.
Shut the flow off, dump it all over the tank and rocks, and dumped some in my sump on my bio material. The bacteria needs ammonia to survive on, therefore i figured it would be best to introduce the fish immediately

gvincent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know the difference between Turbo Start and #9, but I started my tank with #9 in August of last year. Dumped the bottle in one night and put a pair of clownfish in the next day.
From my understanding the turbo is concentrated #9
The standard #9 is working well for me

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back