Fritz Turbo Start 900 - Fish In or Fish Out?

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am ready to start cycling my tank. I soaked my reef rock in a tub of 2.0 Ammonia with MicroBacter XLM for over a month. The tank is now up and running for a few days. I have calibrated all of my meters, including my Apex probes (most are Hanna though). Here are my stats:
Temp: 78.3
NH3 0.50
(I added no ammonia and I can only assume it leached from the rocks)
NO2 0.00
PH: 7.87
NO3: 0.99
PO4: 0.00

Salt is: Tropic Marin Reef Pro
Water is from my 7 stage RODI

Here is the question (sorry to bury the lead but the title says it ;):
I bought Fritz Turbo Start 900 accidentally (long story). Reading the directions on the back it says that you must add fish within 24 hours of using the product. After I bought it I watched several youtube videos from BRS and others that say it is a Fish In mix. Being there is already some ammonia in the tank should I skip the fish for now? Or because the specific bacteria is meant for not only the ammonia but from other fishy bits, should I go with the fish?

Thoughts?

MDReefguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a day or 2, test the ammonia, when it hits zero I’d add some small fish to get rolling. I did Fritz with fish in, and no issues. It’ll eliminate the ammonia quick I’d think.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Verify its not a false possitive. But you did add ammonia and rocks maybe leaching from that. If tgere was sufficient bacteria you had added prior and been running for a month, you really shouldnt have ammonia unless you are dosing constantly which I didnt read. Verify test and if API, probably a false reading. Lots of people have issues with their ammonia kits using.

If verified false. You can always add more fritz and plop. Good stuff.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 nitrite may mean its a testing error, given that nitrite processes slower than ammonia when cycling, thus if there is ammonia, there should be nitrite. If you have the fritz product, dump the whole thing in but go ahead and throw some fish food or small bits of ammonia in until you get fish.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Verify its not a false possitive. But you did add ammonia and rocks maybe leaching from that. If tgere was sufficient bacteria you had added prior and been running for a month, you really shouldnt have ammonia unless you are dosing constantly which I didnt read. Verify test and if API, probably a false reading. Lots of people have issues with their ammonia kits using.

If verified false. You can always add more fritz and plop. Good stuff.

API is better understood as easy to mess up and read rather than giving false positives ime.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back