Trying to understand Red Sea nitrate readings (vs. salifert)

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm continuing to have high nitrates, new tank, haven't even turned on the lights yet (no coral) because trying to get nitrates down. Water changes (10%, once did a 20%) do bring it down, slowly over time. Have to check logs but was doing one daily for about 3 days, etc. Have done quite a few is the point. But not there yet. Wondering if I should use NOPOX. My skimmer doesn't skim much (three baby fish, I doubt there's much to skim out of a 38 gallon system), I have clarigen in my filter sock (sock changed every 3 days) for the last ~1 week. I'm about at the 2 month mark.

Salifert test today showed 6 - 10 PPM, depending on who was reading it (my vs. wife).

Red Sea test kit today showed.... what?? It was slightly lighter than "1". So given that I had to dilute per their instructions (1 ml tank, 15ml RO) I interpret:
15 NO3 ~3 N-NO3

Wat? What is that Red Sea kit trying to tell me? That it's actually more like 15 in Salifert terms (which is possible)?

I've had zero ammonia and nitrites for a long time now (since before I added the fish).

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm continuing to have high nitrates, new tank, haven't even turned on the lights yet (no coral) because trying to get nitrates down. Water changes (10%, once did a 20%) do bring it down, slowly over time. Have to check logs but was doing one daily for about 3 days, etc. Have done quite a few is the point. But not there yet. Wondering if I should use NOPOX. My skimmer doesn't skim much (three baby fish, I doubt there's much to skim out of a 38 gallon system), I have clarigen in my filter sock (sock changed every 3 days) for the last ~1 week. I'm about at the 2 month mark.

Salifert test today showed 6 - 10 PPM, depending on who was reading it (my vs. wife).

Red Sea test kit today showed.... what?? It was slightly lighter than "1". So given that I had to dilute per their instructions (1 ml tank, 15ml RO) I interpret:
15 NO3 ~3 N-NO3

Wat? What is that Red Sea kit trying to tell me? That it's actually more like 15 in Salifert terms (which is possible)?

I've had zero ammonia and nitrites for a long time now (since before I added the fish).
I think Red Sea instructs you to dilute if the nitrate test color indicates 4, the top end of the scale, right? But test instruction confusion aside, your 6-10 ppm reading is fine.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest thinking is under 10 is fine for a reef tank, nothing should read -0- because everything is needed even in a small way.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all... Hmmm...

Really? 10 PPM?

I was under the impression that if over 2 PPM Nitrates, I was going to have an algae festival if I turn on the lights. Right now, zero algae (visible). I did have a very very small, 3-4 days appears of dinoflagellates (brown stuff on the sand) early on, that's it. It was only spotty in a few places and I vacuumed it up during a water change.

My LFS is run by an elite reefer type who has been in the bizz forever. She wrinkled her nose at my numbers ("way too high").

The "sloppy" LFS's were telling me nothing to worry about.

I don't want to chase numbers as they say, but my theory has been the nitrates are left over from waay too much ammonia dosing (was following the Dr. Tim's instructions, which it turns out, are to prepare a tank for a very high bio load, which I don't have). So if this theory is correct, I'm telling myself that I'm in the process of removing all of that byproduct and getting down to "normal"....

Again thanks, welcome more feedback. I do get that 0 nitrates is bad BTW, apparently any coral needs some, etc.. Are there articles one might consult that I've missed re "latest" thinking, 10 PPM, etc.?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to remember there is no ONE way to run a reef tank. My recommendation comes from the owner of ESV. He runs his own small tanks to determine what things work for him & what to avoid.
In fact he encourages the use of bleach as an oxidizer like ozone is. Many including me are doing it, makes my protein skimmer really pull some nasty skimmate.

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates are fine you'll find amazing tanks run at 50 and amazing run at 5 it's all down to the individual altho recommended to keep it on the low end I'd crack your lights on and enjoy the ride mine run at somewhere 15 and 25 but the tank is happy so I don't worry about it

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You think that's high? I had nitrates above 50ppm for a long time and wish I had left them alone. Corals were growing great and I just had a patch or two of hair algae on the back wall. I dosed vinegar for a few months to lower nitrates and while it worked, I now have dinos and can't get rid of them. My target for nitrates is now over 10 ppm. If it's less I dose until I read 10+ ppm.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Ok Ok. :D

Found this, will post it for posterity. I found it interesting. Ryan @Bulk Reef Supply recommending (with proviso's and disclaimers) that NEW tanks need to watch out for their levels (first 1 - 2 years), and to try to keep at or below 3 PPM. After that far less important:

Last edited:
Back