Trying to understand sump diagram

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fierce
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Fierce

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 9, 2025
Messages
6
Reaction score
4
Location
Philippines
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, Im trying to upgrade my setup to a longer tank and I decided to get a sump. I'm having trouble understanding how to plumb it. Using the information that BRS and this forum has, I was able to make this diagram that I plan to use to build it. I'm wondering if I am missing something or if there is something wrong with it, and also what else can I improve with to the design.

XSX.JPG
 
Looks like you have all the necessary items :)
 
Move the ATO to the return pump side. Easier to fill and closer to the sensor.

Ditch the vertical baffle behind the rock, it doesn’t do anything for you.

Change final bubble trap to an over under over.

Looks good otherwise. I personally only build the final overflow chamber in my sumps and use slide in dividers to section it up. Usually it’s just one big 8-9” deep wading pool with a bubble trap and return chamber. On my last sump I added the ATO resi to the sump itself.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new