Tube tank: Have you ever had a cylinder tank?

Have you ever had a cylinder tank?

• Yes, I currently have a cylinder tank.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Yes, I have kept a cylinder tank in the past.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • No, I have not kept a cylinder tank, but I am interested.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • No, I am not interested in keeping cylinder tank.

Votes: 36 41.9%

• Total voters

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely love that look. My all time favorite tank was a 130gal look down half circle tank. Rim was 48" high so you could look down or through the front.
Maybe its just nostalgia, I worked at an lfs (mostly for employee discount) and we had that tank custom made....10 years later I saw it on Craigslist. Snatched it up for a crazy 200 bucks for everything. Tank, stand w/integrated sump, halides etc etc.
Just 2 years later the military decided I needed to move across the country so I sold the tank.
If I had the room, 100% would get the same thing built again!
Ill try and find pics
Please do post pics if you can find them. The cylinder tank I'm considering is 60" diameter and 20" tall. My desire is to make it a shallow reef/tide pool experience with a strong focus on top down viewing!

9secv6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a half cylinder and one of things that always frustrated me was cleaning the bottom of the tank. I'm 6'5 and still could reach the bottom without standing on a chair.

Attachments

• 20160228_091023.jpg
    20160228_091023.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 23

c_ronius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a 90 acrylic half cylinder. Everything looks bigger than it is. Was cool to look at, but a royal pain to clean. Hard to reach into through the top bracing. custom/homemade tools to clean the curved surface without scratching it. Cleaning coralline off of acrylic is one of the jobs I hate the most, and getting it off the curved surface still gives me nightmares. This is the main reason I will never have an acrylic tank again.
90-halfcylinder.jpg

mrdaly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
71086978671__3CAB7029-CDEB-4E5A-BE2F-0BDB85F7B47B.jpeg

I love my Tank. It’s a glass AquaVim 165 3/4 round.
I’ve had to get really creative with the filtration due to the cramped space, but absolutely love this Aquarium. I’m nowhere near as skilled as most of the people on this site. Mainly working on keeping softies and a few fish that prefer not to eat them. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back