Tubelike organism growing on/through a brain coral

Dalton W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I am new to the group and have not had time to do an intro post due to limited time at the moment, but wanted to get this posted. I noticed the brownish tubelike organism growing on the coral around 3-4 months ago roughly. When it started I just thought it was some sort of mineral build up at the back of the coral. Due to a rather hectic semester this spring and a crazy summer due to school I haven't had a whole lot of time to really look at what all has been going on in the tank. However, this tubelike organism has significantly increased in its size/length. I appear as there is a fishlike face slightly appearing from the tube. I have attached a picture. Hopefully someone may know what it is and if I need to deal with it somehow. If I need to take better pictures or a video just let me know. It likes to retract though if I get to close.

Thanks guys,
Dalton

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1694.JPG

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am seeing what you are talking about, looks like a feather duster. And some aptsia.

Shelley

OP
OP
Dalton W

Dalton W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am seeing what you are talking about, looks like a feather duster. And some aptsia.

Shelley
I thought a feather duster as well, but I doesn't look like any feather duster I have ever seen. It only has two antenna type things and that's all I have ever seen come out really. I found another in my sump tonight while doing some work. Took pictures of it as well. And yea I'm having a major aptasia problem right now as well.

fullsizeoutput_3ba.jpeg

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange, how large is it? And I find that young peppermint shrimp love aphasia! Quarantined through a shed first. . Also CBB fish. But they love softies! I will ask a friend to look at your photo.

Shelley

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a tube worm? Feather duster maybe? Type this in search here. I think they are discussing your little worm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dalton W

Dalton W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange, how large is it? And I find that young peppermint shrimp love aphasia! Quarantined through a shed first. . Also CBB fish. But they love softies! I will ask a friend to look at your photo.

Shelley
I've been trying to get some peppermint shrimp to possibly resolve the aptasia issue, but can not see to find anywhere at the moment that has the correct species. When I do I plan to order some because they will have a fair amount of food for a while if they enjoy it.

OP
OP
Dalton W

Dalton W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check TB Saltwater or KP Aquatics for the "right" species of peppermint shrimp.
Only reason I say correct is because in research I have found a lot of information that says L. wurdemanni is the only one of the four species that will consume aptasia and that a lot of places do not always differentiate between the species due to the similarities in appearance. If this is incorrect information I am always open to learning new things. Hopefully I didn't offend you by that statement. That was by no means my intentions with that comment.

Hope you have a great day!
Dalton

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason I say correct is because in research I have found a lot of information that says L. wurdemanni is the only one of the four species that will consume aptasia and that a lot of places do not always differentiate between the species due to the similarities in appearance. If this is incorrect information I am always open to learning new things. Hopefully I didn't offend you by that statement. That was by no means my intentions with that comment.

Hope you have a great day!
Dalton

Not offended. Let me explain my reasoning.
From my understanding L. wurdemanni is the only peppermint shrimp in Florida/ Caribbean waters, which is where both TBS and KPA get their shrimp. That's why I recommended those two vendors specifically. Certainly the one I got from TBS has taken care of my (small) aptasia problem very quickly.

OP
OP
Dalton W

Dalton W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not offended. Let me explain my reasoning.
From my understanding L. wurdemanni is the only peppermint shrimp in Florida/ Caribbean waters, which is where both TBS and KPA get their shrimp. That's why I recommended those two vendors specifically. Certainly the one I got from TBS has taken care of my (small) aptasia problem very quickly.
Awesome good to know. I had been looking at live aquaria and they seem to always be out of stock...

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I have been lucky getting the right ones. I have gotten some from Petco and liveaquaria ad both have eaten them. I find they like to eat them at night. And lots!

And you are welcome.

Shelley

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back