Tunicate? Eggish shaped growing around zoas.

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ya'll, so I saw these start to grow on one of the zoa frag pieces, they grow in line and have been reproducing rapidly. I have seen them breath/exhale or filter. I'm not sure if they are some form of Tunicate. The second highlighted picture there appears to be some sort of membrane growing also. Any help or advise would be great, should I try to dip it or scrape them off, worried that they are overcrowding the zoas!

IMG_7698.png

IMG_7697.png

OP
OP
Zwogle

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are crazy awesome tunicates. The white would just be another type of tunicate. It's hard to see, but I do see siphons on that one too. It's gorgeous.
Cool, thanks! so just let them do their thing? will they affect the zoa at all?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can tell it's crowding the zoa a little, but traditionally tunicates do not do well long-term in our tanks. I would totally leave the gorgeous beast and only mess with it, if it's clearly going over the zoa. It's fine touching it, as it has no sting or irritating behaviour.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see yet another variety of tunicate... left side, half way down. That clear one is not the same as the yellow ringed.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda looks the same off-blue/gray as some sponges, pics not too focused though..(the left side halfway down)
I agree though, definitely awesome looking tunicates! :D

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The left side is definitely a tunicate. I'm 100% certain on that. The far left.... at the edge of the picture, not what's touching the pink outline they drew.

Last edited:

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw a picture where the tunicate much like yours, overtook the zoanthids a little.

From what I've gathered, most people can't even get tunicates to survive, but someone has discovered a species that reproduces and grows fast enough to crowd out Zoas? That's crazy.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They starve in many people tanks. I had a tunicate tank once and that was because I was a rep for phytoplankton and has access to tonnes of free and interesting varieties. I would pour loads of it in the tank.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh! Well, that's probably not a good thing. Could it be that all the individual siphons were disturbed and deflated? That's like the common mat, you're seeing there. The base. :-(

OP
OP
Zwogle

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh! Well, that's probably not a good thing. Could it be that all the individual siphons were disturbed and deflated? That's like the common mat, you're seeing there. The base. :-(
Hmm, i'm not sure what "common mat" means, I'll keep my eye on it though

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You see all that gray and black "animal print pattern" in between the individual siphons in the top pictures? That a part of the tunicate as well. That's like the common vascular system or mat that sits underneath the individual siphons. I have drawings that show this. BRB.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That whole thing is a tunicate.The yellow parts are little clusters of individual intake siphons that gather around a common exist. The whole thing, is the entire colony... the black and white and all.

Milkman1967Fig1.gif

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see there's like a gelatinous mat or "matrix" underneath all the little white clusters. That's one big organism. Yours just happen to be a cool silver/black pattern.

dsc06236.jpg

OP
OP
Zwogle

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can definitely see that "mat" now, this is how it's looking today, maybe it was just regrouping?

DSC07519.png

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, they expelled their water for whatever reason. Looks like it was benign, because they look fine now. Something could have touched it too. Yahoo!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back