Tunze 3155 - Do I have a bad sensor?

AlexKintner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 3155 in a new setup for a couple months now. From the beginning I've noticed that it will engage properly for a period of time (typically a few days), and then simply stop working. The LED indicator will read 'Level', but the pump never engages. At this point if I clean the optical sensor with my hand and some sump water, it will wake up and fill back to level. It will typically work again for a few cycles and ultimately fail again. It's sitting vertically using magnetic holder in the return chamber of an RS-75 sump.

Is this thing broken, or might I be missing something?

Appreciate any suggestions

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a guess and say that the sensor needs to be cleaned more often since it works after you wipe it. Have you tried cleaning the sensor with vinegar or citric acid?

OP
OP
AlexKintner

AlexKintner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply... I'll try some vinegar.

Strange that it's done this from the beginning. I don't think it's ever made it a full week without failing. How often do people clean these things?

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to clean mine every water change. It never really gets any build up on it, but that would depend on any precipitation that may be in the tank.

OP
OP
AlexKintner

AlexKintner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the responses

So I think I've figured this out, and it turns out to be a novice mistake unrelated to the ATO. I found that the water level in my sump was too high... resulting in a rather stagnant return chamber. This created a permanent film which mucked up the Tunze optical sensor.

Simply lowering the water level led to a nice cascade effect into the return chamber and much improved water movement. Time will tell if this was the fix, but I'm feeling confident.

Thanks again all

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back