Tunze 9004 DC vs non-DC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I'm thinking about replacing my HOB skimmer with a Tunze 9004. Based on the reviews, I like the facts that it's internal and quiet :)
Besides being able to control the pump, what other advantages are there for the DC version?
I'm not sure which one to get.

My tank is 45 gallon with no sump.
Thanks in advance!

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bonus is being able to control, which is awesome IMO. I have the 9001 DC and wouldn't trade it out for anything. Having the ability to adjust skimmate consistency on the fly is worth the extra 50$.

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bonus is being able to control, which is awesome IMO. I have the 9001 DC and wouldn't trade it out for anything. Having the ability to adjust skimmate consistency on the fly is worth the extra 50$.
Thank you. I have never had a DC pump before, are they more or less reliable than the AC version in the long run?

Looks like I will be ordering a 9004 DC very soon :)

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I have never had a DC pump before, are they more or less reliable than the AC version in the long run?

Looks like I will be ordering a 9004 DC very soon :)

Reliability is fine at this point and usually I prefer good old ac pumps that I know for a fact will run for the next 7-10 yrs. But when dealing with these compact water level dependent skimmer having the additional adjustability the controllable dc pump provides is invaluable in getting the best possible skim consistency IMO :)

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DC pump, you get a much more precise control and easy adjustment, it is also stronger so the skimmer is rated slightly higher. DC has the advantage that by slowing or speeding up the pump your water and airflow ratio stays relatively constant, with AC and an air adjustment as you decrease air flow you increase water flow. It is true in general that DC pumps don't last as long, our engineering target is a 5 year life for a DC pump and a 10 year life for an AC pump. With good care an AC pump can last nearly indefinitely with just impeller replacements as they wear, they lack any electronics. In DC pumps, the electronics wear out, you also have a controller and power supply that can be water damaged. DC pumps can be made to last but it requires heavy duty components (capacitors are the main weak point, the thin film type have a 7-8 year life span) that are very expensive and difficult to miniaturize (a tantalum ceramic capacitor can last 40+ years but they cost substantially more and are much larger and that is just one component, the others won't tend to last as long unless a comparable increase in quality and cost is made for every component). The Stream 3 is built to be a forever DC pump but this is reflected in the price and bulk. Bottom line, I would expect the DC pump to last at least 5 years, the pump can be replaced for about a 1/3rd of what the whole skimmer costs and in 5 years, there is likely to be something better or you have a different tank. FWIW, on my last tank build I went with the 9012DC and I am liking it so far even though I have just water, rock and sand to look at.

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for the information :) I think the decision has been made!

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Tunze 9004 dc and love it wouldn't trade it for any other skimmer. It's super quite and love the surfece skimming not more nasty oily film on top of the water. Great product highly recommend it.

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the skimmer :) :)

Should I let it run on 100% air for a few days to let it break in? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated, especially how to properly tune it?
Thanks again.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure the depth is right, only 1/4-1/2 of the intake under the cup submerged and start with the pump set at 20% and expect that at most the pump will be set to about 70%.

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure the depth is right, only 1/4-1/2 of the intake under the cup submerged and start with the pump set at 20% and expect that at most the pump will be set to about 70%.
Currently about 1/3 of the intake is submerged and the air is at around 30% or so. When I first turned it on at 100% it just immediately overflowed :)

After running all night, i just checked it during lunch, no microbubbles escaping out and is super quiet! Very happy so far. :)

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds perfect, over time you will be able to increase the pump, usually around 50% is where you will end up after it kind of catches up with the organics already present, and it is a slow increase maybe 10% every 6 weeks or so.

OrokuSaki84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Tunze DC in my Nuvo 40 and love it work great and pulls awesome skim.

What chamber are you running the skimmer in? I'm looking to replace my ghost skimmer with one of these. Will it fit in the chamber to the right of the return pump chamber? (if looking at the tank from the front)

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What chamber are you running the skimmer in? I'm looking to replace my ghost skimmer with one of these. Will it fit in the chamber to the right of the return pump chamber? (if looking at the tank from the front)
No it will only fit in the first chamber so you will have to only run one filter sock. If you choose to use this skimmer. IMO it's worth it

OrokuSaki84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it will only fit in the first chamber so you will have to only run one filter sock. If you choose to use this skimmer. IMO it's worth it

Do you find it gets clogged or fouls anything later down the line before the return pump? Fish foods/snails etc?

Definitely seems like a better location of it in that first chamber so it can actually skim tank surface water. Thanks for the heads up!

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you find it gets clogged or fouls anything later down the line before the return pump? Fish foods/snails etc?

Definitely seems like a better location of it in that first chamber so it can actually skim tank surface water. Thanks for the heads up!
No I have not had any problems with it and mine has been running now for about 6 months. I feed pellets to my fish and have watch some fall into the skimmer and nothing got clogged.

bk_market

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently purchase a regular 9004 skimmer for my IM 30L. It is skimming good, run very quite and I have no complain. I'm new to this so I don't know what else extra the DC version will do for me since it cost almost double.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently purchase a regular 9004 skimmer for my IM 30L. It is skimming good, run very quite and I have no complain. I'm new to this so I don't know what else extra the DC version will do for me since it cost almost double.
I have the DC model and pretty much you have a controler to adjust the pump speed. Also DC motor use less electricity then you AC motor.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back