Tunze 9004 DC vs non-DC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JohnnyTabasco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the skimmer still doing good and is it still quiet?
I'm thinking about buying one, but is the DC version worth it?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger,
Does the sump level have to be 9" consistently for the 9004 DC to skim properly?

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my sump and if the water level changes like say the ato bucket is empty, then it doesn't work. I've ordered a replacement after a month. Others love it so I won't bash it, it just isn't for me or my set up. Its on a frag tank only. The cup is pain to get on right sometimes too but that is awkward positioning on my part.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The absolute minimum water level is 8.9" and the max is 9.7" It needs to be installed for example behind a baffle or in a tank with an ATO so the water level is constant.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the bottom of the skimmer touch the bottom of the sump or does it need to be mounted off the bottom pane?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It needs a very small space at the bottom for the water to escape, water exits the bottom, an 1/8" gap would be sufficient.

Chuck Lawson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the skimmer still doing good and is it still quiet?
I'm thinking about buying one, but is the DC version worth it?

I've had one in a JBJ 45 for about 3 months, and it works fine; being able to dial it in with the controller is very nice.

My only objection is the noise; it's not bad, just a low pervasive hum -- and I'm sure it's probably quieter than the AC alternative.

But it's still far noisier than my return pump (Tunze 1073.050) a pair of MP10QDs and the fan on a Radion XR30w G4 Pro combined.

I've got the tank in my office, and happened to turn off the skimmer for the first time in months yesterday, and I was amazed at how much quieter the tank was. I love the skimmer, but now I'm wondering just how much worse off I'd be without it...

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check for any hard surface contact between the skimmer box and the tank, this is likely the transmission of vibration and some thin pad between the magnets and glass might also resolve it, something simple like a piece of felt or filter wadding or thin rubber sheet.

Susan Watkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I just set my tank up and is current cycling.
I was thinking of the Tunze 9004 DC for my Coralife 32 gallon BioCube.

Has anyone had any luck getting this to fit in the in the back chambers ?

I looked in the chambers and it looks like I may have to cut the two small lips out of chamber 2.

Can anyone confirm ?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My go to on fit questions is Steve at In Tank. Mediabaskets.com. He sells them to, but he is a wealth of knowledge on what fits best in each tank model. For a 32 I might just use the 9001DC, it would be strong enough for anything except dedicated SPS and since it is so easy to water change small tanks I would probably even use it for full blown SPS.

Susan Watkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My go to on fit questions is Steve at In Tank. Mediabaskets.com. He sells them to, but he is a wealth of knowledge on what fits best in each tank model. For a 32 I might just use the 9001DC, it would be strong enough for anything except dedicated SPS and since it is so easy to water change small tanks I would probably even use it for full blown SPS.

Thank you ! I will check it out

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This proved to be a most helpful thread.
I have been researching the Tunze 9004 DC for my JBJ45 rimless. I had the AquaMaxx HOB 1.5 for about a week -- but did not like the look. The skimmer is great -- but a bit unsightly, IMO.
While some call the 9004 DC very quiet -- others seem disturbed by the hummmmm. Guess I'll find out how it behaves in my tank.
I was trying to decide if the extra money spent for the DC was worth it. It appears from these posts -- it should be.
Question: Will this fit properly in the 2nd chamber of my JBJ45? The first chamber has my InTank media basket and, of course, the center chamber houses the return pumps.
Thanks,
-gene

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not answer the fit question, my go to guy on what fits in what is Steve at InTank, he has pretty much checked them all and knows what models fit what tanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back