Tunze Comline DOC Protein Skimmer 9001 Install and Micro bubbles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

sunshinereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a Comline DOC Protein Skimmer 9001 in a JBJ 20 g frag tank (Dimensions: 24"x20"x9") with Center Filtration/Media/Heater Chamber dimensions - 13.5”x 5”x 9”.

I read the instructions and configured it for surface skim using the surface kit and changing the orientation of the pump. Does this orientation generate more micro bubbles than regular skimmer configuration since the pump is at 90 degrees ? Also I see a lot of bubbles coming out from around the pump and most edges with air intake open at bare minimum.

Also the skimmer is not touching the bottom of the tank even if the chamber is 9" deep because of the water line I would like to maintain the water line the skimmer is recommended to be operated at..

Any advice is appreciated in eliminating the micro bubbles?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have the least micro bubbles in the configuration it came in. We generally recommend running it in the stock configuration for at least a couple weeks during break in when bubbles would be at their worst.

In general microbubbles will be reduced by raising the skimmer, submerged too deep will cause more bubbles. Opening the air all the way on start up and adjusting depth first and closing the air as little as possible. Less air flow means more water flow so any bubbles travel faster and further. Any current under the skimmer can draw bubbles out by creating a venturi effect.

OP
OP
sunshinereefer

sunshinereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback - Can you help me understand what configuration is stock configuration - I remember the pump was inline with the plastic guard but is the inlet facing in or away from the plastic guard. I will revert back to stock configuration and let it break in for couple of weeks - (not sure if this is listed in the instructions provided and I missed it).

Can you please help me understand if - "Any current under the skimmer can draw bubbles out by creating a venturi effect." - Is this good or bad ? I do have a current under the skimmer as it leads water to the return chamber - this is how the aquarium is designed by JBJ. I cannot submerge the skimmer unit to touch the bottom of the tank as it will get fully submerged given the chamber is 9" deep.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The intake of the pump faces into the clear cup, that way the water and bubbles that exit get sucked back in.

It is bad, a venturi will pull the bubbles out of the skimmer and into the water column. Only 5.3-6.1" of the skimmer can be submerged and the ideal tends to be 5.5-5.75". If the flow is not excessive, it should be OK, but a stronger current will pull the bubbles out and into the water column.

OP
OP
sunshinereefer

sunshinereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made the recommended changes and will wait for a few days to post results. I also added a piece of filter foam under the skimmer to prevent the bubbles from moving to the return chamber.

Idaho-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The height needs to be just right in the water. Too deep and you will overflow your cup to shallow and the bubbles with go back in the tank. If it's set right you won't get bubbles from the start.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the update!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back