Tunze is being investigated by a law firm out of D.C.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is the statement released today and has to do with the recent flow study that was released concerning Tunze, Ecotech, and other pump manufacturers here: Study

WASHINGTON, Aug 25, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) — The Lewis Firm PLLC is conducting an investigation into potential violations of consumer protection and false advertising laws by Tunze Aquarientechnik GMBH, a Penzberg, Germany-based manufacturer of aquarium components, and its North American subsidiary, Tunze USA LLC (collectively, “Tunzeâ€). The firm’s investigation centers on misrepresentations regarding the output flow rates produced by certain propeller-based aquarium circulation pumps manufactured by Tunze and sold throughout the United States.

According to a recent study performed by engineers from Penn State University, Tunze’s advertisements and promotional literature drastically overstate the output flow rates produced by at least three of its Turbelle Stream 2 series aquarium pumps. Specifically, the study found that the stated flow rates of Tunze’s 6105, 6205 and 6305 series pumps are exaggerated by 46%, 80% and 120%, respectively. (See Feature Article: Experimental Comparison of Measured Flow Output of Aquarium Propeller Pumps — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine.) By contrast, Tunze’s competitors were found to have either understated or accurately reported the flow rates of their propeller pumps. (See http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/7/aafeature_album/figure_14_pump_flowrate.jpg.) The Lewis Firm PLLC is a Washington, DC law firm with extensive experience in the investigation and prosecution of fraud and consumer fraud claims. The firm specializes in the representation of consumers in product defect matters. If you own a Tunze Turbelle Stream 2 model 6105, 6205 or 6305 aquarium pump and wish to obtain additional information about your rights, please contact The Lewis Firm PLLC by email at [email protected]. Please include the model number of your pump, the date of purchase and your state of residence in your correspondence.

Michael P. Lewis The Lewis Firm PLLC 901 New York Ave., N.W. Ste. 550 Washington, DC 20001 (202) 630-6257 [email protected] Attorney Advertising. (C) 2010 The Lewis Firm PLLC. The law firm responsible for this advertisement is The Lewis Firm PLLC. Prior results do not guarantee or predict a similar outcome with respect to any future matter. We are happy to discuss your particular case.

SOURCE: The Lewis Firm PLLC CONTACT: The Lewis Firm PLLC Michael P. Lewis, 202-630-6257 [email protected] Copyright Business Wire 2011 -0- KEYWORD: United States

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my opinion I think it is ridiculous.

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another hungry law firm looking for a big settlement. I think it is a little interesting how Tunze were the only ones who over estimated their flow rates while most of their competitors were accurate and even underestimated when describing flow rates, but the damage has ben done. This study was up on a ton of boards and I'm sure Tunze will suffer the consequences through loss of sales. I can't support this lawsuit either.

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hope Tunze can stay above water in these times. I will always be a faithful Tunze customer. Just another shady lawyer firm looking for some money.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not want to see ANY aquarium based company suffer or go under. IMO I think they will be fine.

pciscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawyers after a buck, best powerheads I have ever owned. On top of that Roger has stood behind his product with support unmatched by most companies. Too bad in the end we all lose. Defending a lawsuit costs money so the price of one of the best companies in the industry will go up. On the other side of the coin the other guys pump now edge his price up even higher with hijacked market share. Until there is a mandated testing procedure for all flow type devices than the people running the test can come up with any results they want. I thought Tunze's reply to the article in question was very telling and Roger I wish you the best of luck with this nonsense.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Roger is upstanding and a very good person. I think if we stand behind these companies then we win even if we don't use their product. As mentioned it keeps prices down.

capt85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stand frivolous lawsuits but I think this may be valid.

If you bought a $50,000 BMW and it states it will reach a speed of 200MPH. Then you take it on the autobahn and it only hits 128MPH, you would take it back to the dealer immediately. Sadly "flow" is not as easy to calculate as speed so in our homes we have to trust them.

This study was done by a credible engineering facility not just some guy. Penn State did not do the study to hurt Tunze but to help understand "flow ratings" as an independent source.

Should a high end product "which this is" not be able to stand up to scientific study of their claims?

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stand frivolous lawsuits but I think this may be valid.

If you bought a $50,000 BMW and it states it will reach a speed of 200MPH. Then you take it on the autobahn and it only hits 128MPH, you would take it back to the dealer immediately. Sadly "flow" is not as easy to calculate as speed so in our homes we have to trust them.

This study was done by a credible engineering facility not just some guy. Penn State did not do the study to hurt Tunze but to help understand "flow ratings" as an independent source.

Should a high end product "which this is" not be able to stand up to scientific study of their claims?

This is where my mind's going. Everyone's so quick to support another member of the community (which is great), but they blatantly misrepresented their products. I'm not saying they're not good pumps. But I am saying that they are not what they are being advertised and sold as. Let's not act like these are small margins of error either. "Specifically, the study found that the stated flow rates of Tunze’s 6105, 6205 and 6305 series pumps are exaggerated by 46%, 80% and 120%, respectively. " 120% off?!? Seriously? I'm beginning to think it was intentional misrepresentation...

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As if I needed another reason to hate lawyers. While I believe that Tunze has a responsibility to the consumer if they are unsatisfied with their products, this is just a bloodsucker looking to make a buck.

reefkoi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure another study will be done now, with the owners of each company present etc. and that will be interesting to see the results for comparison I'm sure.

C

ReefDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that sucks, even though I don't have any tunzes, the people I know that do have have nothing but good things to say about the pumps and customer service. Its sad that people don't have anything better to do with there time.

pciscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you understand how a penductor works, it pulls in flow and adds to the amount of water moved. The test was done by Penn state with the powerheads being measured one length of their output nozzle away for flow. What if they would have measured 2 lengths of the output? Or 3? If water is being pushed farther it is pulling in and moving more water??? This makes a standard flow test mean very little in my opinion. The same Penn state testers could have modified their test to make Tunze shine, makes me wonder how many free Vortech pumps they got from the test? Sorry if I am out of line, but these pumps do not pump water they move water and if you watched Rogers response video you would feel better with your Tunze purchase as Tunze pumps move water quiet and far. I own both Vortech and Tunze by the way and only wish the Lawyers would stay out of it so we could all get the best deal on great products. I would venture to say that not too many people who have purchased a 200mph car have ever had the balls to even see if it is possible, yet we all try our pumps on max flow:)

Last edited:

SoCalTropicalFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unless the lawyer send out class action suit letter to all the tunze's owner and unless the tunze owner sign up to take part of the class action suit. There is no case and there is no big money.

For all the tunze owners I came across to, 100% of them are happy with tunze. So I don't see how this law suit would damage tunze.

Again I think the GPH it's all estimated so honestly I don't see any issue to worry.

Roger is a stand up guy and for sure, he got my support.

I also don't think Ecotech is purposely done the testing to harm anyone.

Now go to my site and buy more, I need to make rent payment.....hahaha

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another stupid lawsuit. If you bought a Tunze and you did not like it because it underperformed. you just will not buy it again. But Tunze has a die hard base of people who love their products. Because they make time tested products. is the reason people come back year after year. It does not make a difference what the pump was rated people would have bought that stream pump even if it was rated at the "true" gph.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
blatantly misrepresented
I am a Vortech user at this point and I do not think this is true at all. Even the initial study said the following.

Based on these results, Tunze conducted its own independent tests on the Tunze pumps and have confirmed our results. On further discussion with Tunze we do not feel the errors were deliberate attempts to mislead, but rather their misguided faith in theoretical calculations that often do not translate well into real world application and use. In light of these finding Tunze is working to remedy the situation.

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm only run tunze's right now. I can honestly say they're the best powerheads i've owned even if it's underrated. Being satisfied with a product also means being happy with their customer service. In my experience, Tunze is one of the most honest, quick responding, retailer out there. i had a problem with a impeller once (after owning it for 2 years) and they sent me a brand new one free of charge. Who does that???
Ex: this is what is stated for the 6305 Flow rate: 9,000 to 30,000 l/h (2,377 to 7,925 USgal./h).
as per their test 3597.3 gph. i think technically that number falls in there but, yeah it ain't 7925gph for sure tho. let's see what Tunze replies with. i'm wishing it's free pump upgrade for current owners...LOL.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back