Tunze MAR-3181 Macroalgae Reactor - Always out of stock?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jx.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been interested in picking up this algae reactor for a few months now and have yet to see it in stock. Could someone from Tunze provide an ETA on when this will be available again? Or did this get discontinued?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is a lack of circuit boards to make the pump, unfortunately we have no firm ETA, we have been discussing an alternative AC pump as a short term solution until chip supply returns to normal.

OP
OP
jx.reef

jx.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is a lack of circuit boards to make the pump, unfortunately we have no firm ETA, we have been discussing an alternative AC pump as a short term solution until chip supply returns to normal.
thank you for the quick response! in that case I suppose I'll just have to wait until you get the parts in

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’d be great if they sold without pumps. I plan on using one in-line with my main pump.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we got a surprise of a small air shipment of 3181's last week, 3182's will be in later this month.

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second the point about shipping a version without a pump as I dont need the pump. I guess logistically quite hard to do what with all the packaging and documentation changes Tunze would need to do but maybe something to consider as this chip shortage for everyone looks like it going to be around for some time to come :-(

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We hesitate to provide a product that is not complete, especially since the type of flow is critical to the function, the MAR reactors need a specific flow that is low pressure but high volume and the fittings are all for a pump with 24mm outlet (1"). We should be able to find an AC pump solution in the interim and this would have a lower price.

reefraz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We hesitate to provide a product that is not complete, especially since the type of flow is critical to the function, the MAR reactors need a specific flow that is low pressure but high volume and the fittings are all for a pump with 24mm outlet (1"). We should be able to find an AC pump solution in the interim and this would have a lower price.

Hi, sorry for the random bump, i wanted to ask if Tunze had an recomendation as to what the flow on the pump should be?
I have been running my 3182 at 60% but got plenty of coraline and othet algae growth.
Should i just run a 100% and dial down if the chaeto is hitting the top of the reactor?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want the flow rate as slow as possible, the caheto should spin very slowly/ intermittently and you want to avoid a flow that is so high the chaeto is blown to the top. How high the speed is set is largely dependent on head pressure and hose run, if it is in sump or besides the sump, the 12V power supply at roughly 50-60% on a 3182 is about right, if you have a higher head application and use the 24V power supply which doubles the flow, you need to carefully watch the chaeto and set it as needed.

OSUTeege

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rvitko my electrical knowledge is not strong…a brand new 3181 I just received came with two 12v power supplies. By your statement above, sounds like the dc pump controller can work off either 12 or 24v supply.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is correct, stock is a 12V DC power supply, this will work in sump or besides sump, roughly 2ft head capacity, if you need up to about 4ft, you use the optional 24V powersupply, do not oversize the power supply, too much flow will cause problems, unless you need the added head pressure there is no reason to get the larger power supply and for typical sump installs, you don't need it. 24V essentially doubles the pump performance.

OSUTeege

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rvitko Alright, trying to get this pump to work on the 12v supply. It refuses to fill the entire chamber. It’s gets to the top but not enough exit the chamber?

It’s odd because upon initial fill the pump is fine, but i pause the flow with feed mode or turn off the pump, when i turn it back on it can’t push the water anymore.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get more details on how it is installed? The main things I can think of that would cause this is the inlet or outlet hose being kinked. It can also happen that if air gets in the pump and there is back pressure from a full column in the reactor, the pump won't be able to prime, with an in sump install, the water typically drains back down when the pump is off to the sump water level and this lower water column pressure tends to allow reliable starting as it also will flush out any air when it drains back out through the pump.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back