Tunze Silence 1073.20

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to purchase a Tunze Recirculation Silence 1073.020 as a return pump for my upcoming build. I read in the documentation that the pump is not to be used with a switch. I’ve just installed 15Amp DJ switch to my system. Is it not appropriate to use the switch function with this pump?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This means a wavemaker type use, if you are just switching it off on rare occasions for maintenance, that is not a problem, but rapid/frequent on and off cycles will damage the pump. Just keep in mind the 1073.020 flow drops dramatically with head pressure, it is generally only suitable as a return on relatively small systems (under 50 gallons) and is more commonly used to run media reactors, etc. The 1073.040 is much more suitable for higher head pressures.

OP
OP
InsaneClownFish

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This means a wavemaker type use, if you are just switching it off on rare occasions for maintenance, that is not a problem, but rapid/frequent on and off cycles will damage the pump. Just keep in mind the 1073.020 flow drops dramatically with head pressure, it is generally only suitable as a return on relatively small systems (under 50 gallons) and is more commonly used to run media reactors, etc. The 1073.040 is much more suitable for higher head pressures.
Ty for the quick response. My sump is a small 20x20 cube sump. The tank is a shallow cube of aprox 110g. The total head with no bends is approximately 48”(including the length inside the overflow). I’ll be running two small drains 1” one as a Durso and one as an emergency. The Durso won’t be full siphon so prob 325gph max.

The goal of the tank is LPS, so my flow will be modest. I don’t want to rocket water through the sump, but I also want to insure the heaters are keeping up with the turnover. 1073.40 the better option with my scenario? Sounds like it might be I just wanted to run the specifics by you.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pump will only do about 260 gph at 4ft, it reaches zero gallons per hour at about 6.5 ft. The 1073.040 does about 450 gph at 4ft and that would generally be a more suitable flow rate, especially factoring any added restriction and you can turn down the flow, there is a mechanical adjustment on the intake. The main advantage of 1073.020 is it is definitely quieter, it uses a conventional ceramic magnet impeller instead of a rare earth magnet impeller and that weaker pull tends to result in less noise and vibration.

OP
OP
InsaneClownFish

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pump will only do about 260 gph at 4ft, it reaches zero gallons per hour at about 6.5 ft. The 1073.040 does about 450 gph at 4ft and that would generally be a more suitable flow rate, especially factoring any added restriction and you can turn down the flow, there is a mechanical adjustment on the intake. The main advantage of 1073.020 is it is definitely quieter, it uses a conventional ceramic magnet impeller instead of a rare earth magnet impeller and that weaker pull tends to result in less noise and vibration.
Ok great! I’m having them increase the drains to 1.25” anyway so no issues there- thx again the 40 it is!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back