Turf algae scrubber or bio-pellets

Dra49ers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So apparently chaeto hates me bc I can’t seem to keep it alive for more then a month tried 3x and get good growth for about 4-6weeks then it just gets really weak and dies off. I am using a AI Prime fuge light and dosing BA chaetogro and still samething. I do have high nitrates and phosphates, and I am running quite a bit of flow through the refugium. I tried different light intensity too, so I’m thinking of just selling off the light and investing in an algae turf scrubber since I have no problem growing hair algae. So my question is which would be more effective the scrubber or a bio-pellet reactor. Thanks

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheato can be finicky. If it grows in your tank it can be a great nutrient export but the moment you have to start dosing stuff it’s not worth it honestly. I’ve switched to ulva and have to harvest it twice a week.

Algae is better at exporting both nitrate and phosphates, biopellets will impact nitrates much more than phosphates. Tuning the reactor takes some practice and time or you can reduce nitrates too much.

I’d give ulva a try first and then you can invest in a scrubber.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrubber over biopellets, its far easier to over dose carbon and go to a zero np tank than with algae.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So apparently chaeto hates me bc I can’t seem to keep it alive for more then a month tried 3x and get good growth for about 4-6weeks then it just gets really weak and dies off. I am using a AI Prime fuge light and dosing BA chaetogro and still samething. I do have high nitrates and phosphates, and I am running quite a bit of flow through the refugium. I tried different light intensity too, so I’m thinking of just selling off the light and investing in an algae turf scrubber since I have no problem growing hair algae. So my question is which would be more effective the scrubber or a bio-pellet reactor. Thanks

Before you jump ship, can you go over your parameters? Can you also post some tank photos? I think we could get it growing for you.

OP
OP
Dra49ers

Dra49ers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you jump ship, can you go over your parameters? Can you also post some tank photos? I think we could get it growing for you.

Okay thanks, I’m using the AI Prime fuge light at only 50% intensity and followed the dosing directions for the brightwell chaetogro. It’s a fish only system 20% monthly water changes, Red Sea skimmer rated for 500 gallon fish only tank (my tank has a total water volume of 180-200g) change socks and filter pad every 3rd day.

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 65-90ppm ( hard to distinguish color chart)
Phosphates 5.0ppm

OP
OP
Dra49ers

Dra49ers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DF2EB289-657E-4065-958A-5834B5E0D5D7.jpeg
FE44DF61-23B3-49AB-9F9A-72B78C96DA99.jpeg
08D87F62-C532-4522-AC59-71BF601F452F.jpeg
3B09C748-C5E3-4BAB-BD19-A3F129355114.jpeg
25C8AC4D-FEB4-40FA-9FC1-DB17755FECF9.jpeg
E7B8D511-37A4-431D-B90C-63E31F9FE5E9.jpeg
6C7C6A01-1608-46E3-BC82-4F2DD13BD861.jpeg
2CBEDC61-4E38-455A-8F33-54A9FA0C9CE6.jpeg
1C767B78-70CA-4C86-90CA-69BE6BCD2729.jpeg

B30BE10C-540A-4829-BDB3-D3E00248B17A.jpeg

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks, I’m using the AI Prime fuge light at only 50% intensity and followed the dosing directions for the brightwell chaetogro. It’s a fish only system 20% monthly water changes, Red Sea skimmer rated for 500 gallon fish only tank (my tank has a total water volume of 180-200g) change socks and filter pad every 3rd day.

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 65-90ppm ( hard to distinguish color chart)
Phosphates 5.0ppm
Why are you trying to grow cheato in a fish only tank? If you have an algae problem then feed less and do a week long blackout with multiple water changes. Run gfo and strip water of phosphates.

Realposition

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you trying to grow cheato in a fish only tank? If you have an algae problem then feed less and do a week long blackout with multiple water changes. Run gfo and strip water of phosphates.

Water changes are a pretty expensive and labor intensive way to bring down nutrients in a big tank. I'd rather grow algae or dose carbon.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Dra49ers Can you post photos of your display?

Can you also post a video of the water flowing through the sump? I want to get an estimate for flow down there. The cyano on the chaeto makes me think flow isn't the best.

Some notes
  • The hair algae may be inhibiting the growth of the chaeto.
    • A lot of times we recommend a manual prune of the hair algae, and then boom, the chaeto takes off.
  • Do you have the skimmer before or after the chaeto?
  • Do you have a spare pump(something like a maxijet/pond pump/small return pump)? I can show you how to get the chaeto tumbling with one of those.
  • Lighting: I would ramp the intensity of the AI fuge to 100%. 16/8 (on/off) reverse photoperiod. I'm not a fan of 24 hour on.

The macro that always seems to work when chaeto doesnt is sea lettuce. For your setup, I would recommend the 4oz portion (softball - https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/macroalgae/clean-sea-lettuce/). If it doesn't work, I'll extend a 100% guarantee that the sea lettuce will work. We routinely have tanks that bottom out on nitrates/phosphates when the sea lettuce gets going. You can moderate this by pruning more sea lettuce, so it doesnt suck it down so fast.

OP
OP
Dra49ers

Dra49ers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dra49ers Can you post photos of your display?

Can you also post a video of the water flowing through the sump? I want to get an estimate for flow down there. The cyano on the chaeto makes me think flow isn't the best.

Some notes
  • The hair algae may be inhibiting the growth of the chaeto.
    • A lot of times we recommend a manual prune of the hair algae, and then boom, the chaeto takes off.
  • Do you have the skimmer before or after the chaeto?
  • Do you have a spare pump(something like a maxijet/pond pump/small return pump)? I can show you how to get the chaeto tumbling with one of those.
  • Lighting: I would ramp the intensity of the AI fuge to 100%. 16/8 (on/off) reverse photoperiod. I'm not a fan of 24 hour on.

The macro that always seems to work when chaeto doesnt is sea lettuce. For your setup, I would recommend the 4oz portion (softball - https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/macroalgae/clean-sea-lettuce/). If it doesn't work, I'll extend a 100% guarantee that the sea lettuce will work. We routinely have tanks that bottom out on nitrates/phosphates when the sea lettuce gets going. You can moderate this by pruning more sea lettuce, so it doesnt suck it down so fast.

CE1F8B6E-294F-4B2D-860F-A4639669BCF5.jpeg

AF5F083C-FBB1-44EE-ADD8-CDA41AF2F68D.jpeg

OP
OP
Dra49ers

Dra49ers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it took so long I’ve been trying to post the videos but i keep getting an error message. Can you PM me with an email address I can send the videos to?
I have the skimmer before the refugium, yes I do have an extra mj1200 I can use, I will change the lighting schedule as you suggested. Thank you again for your help.

OP
OP
Dra49ers

Dra49ers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are a pretty expensive and labor intensive way to bring down nutrients in a big tank. I'd rather grow algae or dose carbon.
I agree 100%, and I also want to get more comfortable with nutrient control before I start a reef tank.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry it took so long I’ve been trying to post the videos but i keep getting an error message. Can you PM me with an email address I can send the videos to?
I have the skimmer before the refugium, yes I do have an extra mj1200 I can use, I will change the lighting schedule as you suggested. Thank you again for your help.

You can send it to [email protected], Please put in the title ATTN: SEAN - Turf algae thread R2R

Thanks for the display tank shot, wanted to make sure the display wasn't covered in hair algae.

How heavy are you skimming (does it look like light tea or does it look like sewer skum)?

OP
OP
Dra49ers

Dra49ers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent the videos via email, the skimmer collection cup comes out with a really dark gunk not light at all, in regards to hair algae inside the display there is only some on the back wall and on one of the flat pieces of rock. I tried to scrub most of it off but by no means was may tank covered in hair algae.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I sent the videos via email, the skimmer collection cup comes out with a really dark gunk not light at all, in regards to hair algae inside the display there is only some on the back wall and on one of the flat pieces of rock. I tried to scrub most of it off but by no means was may tank covered in hair algae.

Got the video!

The main culprit I would pinpoint will be flow in the refugium. It looks like the flow is pretty laminar (smooth) and flowing mainly over the top. We want to ensure that good mixing is occurring all around the chaeto to ensure that it has a constant supply of nutrients (CO2, Nitrate, Phosphate, etc). If the flow is too slow, you get this very thing boundary layer on the chaeto itself that prevents the chaeto from getting the nutrients it needs.

Can you send me a profile shot of the sump and I can show you where to place the maxijet and how to plumb it?

OP
OP
Dra49ers

Dra49ers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I increased the return pump from 65% to 80%. Here I included some pictures for the sump hopefully they work. Thanks again for all your help.

925CF092-B2D5-45BF-92EC-9FA93F39527C.jpeg

0FAC847E-64EF-42BC-BFB5-5CED3BEB5098.jpeg

6A1E2F1F-567B-4AFD-961A-EE425ED3684F.jpeg

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plants need iron to grow. Small amounts of it but very essential nutrient. Ime cheato is little more resilient then algae. I run both algae scrubbers and cheato fuges depending on if the system is fresh or salt water as for crest there really isn’t any other good export options. My first initial action is you’re way overpowering your fuge with that light. I use cheap Chinese acke lights and growth doubles in a week time. I also don’t reduce flow through my fuge it’s gets full filtration flow as I like the fact it acts like a filter pad collecting detritus and the pods eating it up.

I use same cheap lighting on my scrubbers although imo regular 5500-6500k lights seem to work better. I run reduced flows through my scrubbers as I don’t want to be breaking off pieces clogging pumps up.

All this said I way underpower my lighting on either compared to what you’ll be told is preferable lighting and I also have migrated to almost 24/7 lighting on the fuge (which testing is starting to show to be beneficial for growth and nutrient export only needing to reduce lighting times on coral tanks to keep from stripping everything.)

Here my view.. they both work very well. How well do you need? My 10g pico with 6 fish gets purposely overfed with a full cube daily and softball size cheato with 12w red blue light running 16h holds that nutrient input steady at 5 and .1 I can increase time to 20h and reduce further and run 24/7 and strip all nutrients and run 0-0.

Tanks I run scrubbers on I’ve had nitrate and pho’s issues of 50ppm weekly increases and 2.0 accordingly. (125g freshwater predictor tank with 36 fish all 4-12” most around 6-8” feeding is 8oz hicari daily lol. A simple diy upflow scrubber with 12w 6500k bulb was able to eat up 50ppm and 2.0 pho’s as it is able to hold that tank steady wo getting worse. Recently added a small reactor converted to scrubber using cheap grow rope lights and in 10ish day that addition has brough the tank down to 10-20ppm and 1.2 pho’s.. last I checked it was still dropping. These were cheap 1h builds from parts laying around mind you to test. I’ll be making a larger version properly plumbed under tank and running off a fx6 output soon.

The moral is they both work and work too well. My advice contrary to what most antidotal theory is.. run a 6500k light on your fuge and be done. Planted tanks all run 6500k lighting I see no reason to over power a fuge with $300 display lighting. A $12 bulb in 6500k par38 size placed in a reptile 8” heating reflector will grow anything you want ever.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 96 76.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back