Turn Your Pump off Automatically if there is a water leak or high temperature reading

RajV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can control your pump based of various situations as a quick action before you can get to your setup. You can use a water leak detection unit that can send emails and quickly turn your pump off as a first defense , of if your heater locked up on the ON position in your sump and decided not to turn off.
This example uses Seneye for Temperature Monitor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HR11W2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TP-Link Smart Plug - this can drive upto 15A
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0178IC734/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Setup your TP_link switch and power your pump through it. I have labeled this switch as Pump on the TP-Link Kasa app . If you have this app you can remotely turn you plug on or off as well as set schedules.

Go to your Gmail and create a Filter on the subject generated for High temperature alert and set it to Label the email as HiTemp. Seneye sends an alert with the Subject Temperature High Reading , depending on your monitor this will vary and be extremely careful in creating this filter with a very precise content else you may land up labeling many emails as HiTemp .

Next Goto IFTTT.com , ensure your are signed in and locate a drop down at the top right of your screen and select New Applet . The video has audio embedded from the Telephone call alert that I had setup from a previous post . You will be asked to provide your TP-Link user id password , Gmail user id password if you are doing this for the first time .

Proceed with the steps in the video . Enjoy your peace of mind

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just a suggestion, I would suggest going with a full blown controller. The benefit of piecing controls together can be difficult going from one app to the other.:)

OP
OP
RajV

RajV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just a suggestion, I would suggest going with a full blown controller. The benefit of piecing controls together can be difficult going from one app to the other.:)
True . I agree . I am new to reefing and my goal down the road is to go with the controllers , given that those controllers are expensive and a must have when you know what you are doing and have learnt every trick in the trade , these are small low cost solutions for possibly Noobs like me , just to protect initial start up costs but definitely avoid controllable disasters

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True . I agree . I am new to reefing and my goal down the road is to go with the controllers , given that those controllers are expensive and a must have when you know what you are doing and have learnt every trick in the trade , these are small low cost solutions for possibly Noobs like me , just to protect initial start up costs but definitely avoid controllable disasters

Good plan, not to break the bank in the beginning:)

OP
OP
RajV

RajV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link to the Facebook video doesn't work.
Thanks for the heads up , I did check the link it was working . Ive moved it to a neutral location . I had published on BRS FB page - not sure why it vanished . There is a new youtube link now .

I quick check on the previous post you watched and used to configure is also gone , someone pulled it out . Not posting on FB

Last edited:

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GHL turned my system off perfectly a couple weeks ago when I had a major leak.

One exception! The storm in NY blew out power two days prior and I had my return plugged into battery back up. Drained the water anyway as the leak was from a manifold.

OP
OP
RajV

RajV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GHL turned my system off perfectly a couple weeks ago when I had a major leak.

One exception! The storm in NY blew out power two days prior and I had my return plugged into battery back up. Drained the water anyway as the leak was from a manifold.
Oh dang sorry to hear that . Redundancy has no limits , so is disaster

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back