Turned off by freshwater fish

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently joined a couple of FB groups that are general aquarium groups and find myself not just disliking freshwater stuff but kinda annoyed by it. Anyone else feel that way? To each their own and I'm certainly not discouraging people from getting into the hobby or trying to be hostile to those that are already in it. Am I marine fish eletist? I'm generally disgusted by freshwater fish and think they smell horrible. I don't think the beauty is there that you can find in a marine aquarium. I'm curious what others think?

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about smell, but a fw tank of multi colored discus, swimming through a root system that sticks up out of the top of the tank, is pretty amazing. Also the colors they get with fw shrimp are unbeatable.

OP
OP
aws2266

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about smell, but a fw tank of multi colored discus, swimming through a root system that sticks up out of the top of the tank, is pretty amazing. Also the colors they get with fw shrimp are unbeatable.

I don't hate all freshwater fish, the red tail shark, and discus are ok. My wife wants a corner tank like yours. She's gonna have to do that one herself though.

OP
OP
aws2266

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking to my wife about this and she thinks I have some aversion to freshwater in general. I don't like ponds or lakes, not a big fan of swimming pools but I love the ocean. I love everything about it and I'm stuck in Ohio. She may be on to something.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't wanna get into a fight. lol Just wonder what other peoples opinions are. That is a pretty fish. what kind?
The one with white spots was just called a big spot pleco by the lfs. The other one is a gold nugget pleco - L177. I want a zebra pleco to add to my collection but they are expensive. I'm hoping I can find one at Aquashella this weekend.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking to my wife about this and she thinks I have some aversion to freshwater in general. I don't like ponds or lakes, not a big fan of swimming pools but I love the ocean. I love everything about it and I'm stuck in Ohio. She may be on to something.
It's what you like.

I like all things aquatic. I'm drawn to reef aquariums because of being really far away from them in nature. If I lived in Hawaii, I'd go swimming.

I immerse myself into the freshwater aquatic world by fishing and generally exploring streams, lakes and ponds. I see aspects of nature that may never be captured in an aquarium, fish jumping water falls, chasing baitfish, slurping insects on a river, watching nest building activities.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently joined a couple of FB groups that are general aquarium groups and find myself not just disliking freshwater stuff but kinda annoyed by it. Anyone else feel that way? To each their own and I'm certainly not discouraging people from getting into the hobby or trying to be hostile to those that are already in it. Am I marine fish eletist? I'm generally disgusted by freshwater fish and think they smell horrible. I don't think the beauty is there that you can find in a marine aquarium. I'm curious what others think?
I started w/FW as a kid b/c my dad had that growing up, and it’s just easier. Growing up I was under the impression that SW was just not attainable for me, which is kinda sad if I think about it now. But I learned a lot about cycling, basic water chemistry, and keeping fish from FW.

Today I have a planted FW tank w/dwarf puffers as well as a reef tank. I love puffers but due to space limits could only fit small FW ones.

I can def say the majority of my attention now goes to my reef since I am just enthralled — SW is like another planet. And if I ever lose the puffers I’ll prob turn their 10g into a nano Caribbean biotope w/flower nems.

FWIW, there are some really beautiful FW fish, and a properly maintained FW tank should smell earthy, kinda like soil, and only if you put your nose right up to it and take a whiff. I’m a huge plant person as well so the earthy smell appeals to me.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back