Two Bulb T5 Fixture with XHO

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a 24" two bulb T5 fixture to attach two XHO to.

Anyone have any suggestions of fixtures that also look decent enough to hang in the living room?

One option I see is the Reef Brite Slimline Supra. Any experience with this fixture or photos of one installed with XHOs?

Thank you

OP
OP
ingchr1

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this fixture to replace an ATI 4-bulb Sunpower. I was running the Sunpower with (2) Blue Plus, Coral Plus and Actinic. I then added a Reef Brite XHO Actinic Blue to the front of the Sunpower. I really liked the addition of the XHO so I decided to add a second to the rear.

For my tank two XHO and four T5 would be too much light (roughly equivalent to seven T5) so I stopped running the two Blue Plus bulbs. The configuration was now (2) XHO, Coral Plus and Actinic. With the fixture mounted around 8" above the water I was able to achieve my PAR goal of 120-130 PAR on the sandbed.

The 4-bulb fixture and (2) XHO created a couple of "problems".

The first was to have an even spread into the tank from the T5's I wanted them to be the two center bulbs in the fixture. I fixed this by rewiring the ballasts so the center bulbs were a pair and the outer bulbs were a pair.

The second was the rear XHO hung too far back and around half the light was spilling out the back of the tank (see last photo). My tank is Waterbox 40.2 AIO, 18" wide display area. I tried angling the rear XHO forward for a time to make the 4-bulb fixture work, but this resulted in light shining into the eyes. The only solution I could see at this point was to just get the Reef Brite 2-bulb T5 fixture.

I have the fixture mounted 8" from the waterline and I'm seeing PAR in the 130 range. I was a little concerned with what the aesthetics of fixture may be since I couldn't find any photos of one installed, but I think it looks just fine. When looking straight on you don't even see the T5's.

ReefBrite_SlimLine_2Bulb (1).jpg

ReefBrite_SlimLine_2Bulb (2).jpg

ReefBrite_Coral_Actinic_XHO.png

4-Bulb ATI with Two XHO

ATI Sunpower_XHO (2).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ingchr1

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that when I ordered the second XHO I custom ordered it with a 90W power supply (vice the 60W that comes with it), along with one of their two-way splitters. This way I was able connect both 24" XHOs to a single power supply, thus eliminating one of the power bricks and allowing both XHOs to be controlled from a single 0-10V channel (vice two). Both of the XHOs were custom ordered in silver and all through @Premiumaq.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 65 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back