Two clowns together. Possibly different genus. both CB

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a huge clown i got two weeks ago in QT. Its a great snow storm. No issues with the midas or puffer.

Today i grabbed what i thought was a snow storm as well but it appears to have yellow eye not black.

I did acclimation and then put the new fish in the tank but in a clear fish box. No reaction. So a lil bit later i let it out. At first nothing but then the big girl saw the new one which is 3x smaller and looked like it attacked. It clearly bite the tail but im not sure it was an attack or is this something clowns do when they each establish dominance?

I have extra ten gal i can set up tommorow. I put the new clown in the clear box for saftey. Other fish isnt really bothering it.

IMG20240114184341.jpg IMG20240114184330.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually want to leave the acclimation box for a week or longer with clowns. The female will attack the smaller. They will fight until the smaller one submits or dies usually. Doesnt matter if they are different or the same kinds of clowns. Yours are both designer clowns so they will either pair or they wont.

OP
OP
Bakedpwn

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually want to leave the acclimation box for a week or longer with clowns. The female will attack the smaller. They will fight until the smaller one submits or dies usually. Doesnt matter if they are different or the same kinds of clowns. Yours are both designer clowns so they will either pair or they wont.
ok i will leave it in the box. i did not know if it was a instant acceptance or denial or it took time.

thank you

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way one is a different genus is if one is a maroon. That species has its own genus, Premnas. Maroons will have a spine on its cheek.

OP
OP
Bakedpwn

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way one is a different genus is if one is a maroon. That species has its own genus, Premnas. Maroons will have a spine on its cheek.
Gotcha! Thanks i paid a good chunk for this one so im hoping they hit it off as they match

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So i have a huge clown i got two weeks ago in QT. Its a great snow storm. No issues with the midas or puffer.

Today i grabbed what i thought was a snow storm as well but it appears to have yellow eye not black.

I did acclimation and then put the new fish in the tank but in a clear fish box. No reaction. So a lil bit later i let it out. At first nothing but then the big girl saw the new one which is 3x smaller and looked like it attacked. It clearly bite the tail but im not sure it was an attack or is this something clowns do when they each establish dominance?

I have extra ten gal i can set up tommorow. I put the new clown in the clear box for saftey. Other fish isnt really bothering it.

IMG20240114184341.jpg IMG20240114184330.jpg
As expected. This is known as clown hierarchy where the female is the aggressor, steals the food, chases the male and even attacks to the point of death isolate female 7-10 days and see if it changes her attitude

OP
OP
Bakedpwn

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As expected. This is known as clown hierarchy where the female is the aggressor, steals the food, chases the male and even attacks to the point of death isolate female 7-10 days and see if it changes her attitude
o is it better to lock up the larger aggressor?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
o is it better to lock up the larger aggressor?
Yes as she is territorial and needs to be curbed from territory and placed in time out

OP
OP
Bakedpwn

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped the big one thats been in the tank longer into jail this morning. Let the other out and they seems to be figuring it out. Not sure but time will tell

Attachments

• VID20240115082053.mp4
    53.3 MB
OP
OP
Bakedpwn

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today they seem alot friendly. Just seems like yhe but girl just wants out. The little one seems to be hanging around the big one. Idk if that's a good sign or if the little one just doesnt remember getting bullied two days ago.

Attachments

• VID20240116122141.mp4
    22.7 MB

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back