Two Male Lyretail Anthias?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BigMax
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BigMax

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2019
Messages
215
Reaction score
185
Location
Minneapolis
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quarantined 5 female lyretail anthias for 3 months, and during quarantine one quickly transitioned to a male. Those fish have now been in my 300-gallon FOWLR tank for about 3 months.

I recently bought 5 more females with the intention of moving them into the display before one had a chance to transition. Unfortunately, it turns out that one of the new fish was already beginning to transition, so I now have 2 males and 8 females.

The new male is considerably smaller than the established male.

Do you think it is possible to move all 5 new fish into the display, or would it be better to leave the second male in quarantine? I really don't want to lose the new male or create a situation where the two males are constantly fighting.

I'd especially appreciate opinions from anyone who has successfully kept two male lyretail anthias together, particularly when one male is significantly smaller than the established male.

What has been your experience?
 
I had two males with 7 females in my 180 they got along great for months until one day when the smaller male decided that the larger male had to go. I now 7 females and 1 male in that tank
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new