Two new anthias not eating, day 5

Exus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two new anthias, disbar and evansi, in a hospital tank right now because they won't eat anything the last 5 days I've had them. I've tried pellets, frozen brine and mysis, garlic, selcon, and live brine shrimp, they won't eat anything. They don't swim around like normal anthias, they just perch at the bottom of the tank, rarely moving. They visually appear normal, no gasping, no dull colors, stomach appears normal, no white poop. I did see one of them poop, so I don't think it's constipation.

I want to medicate them, but I'm not sure what medication to try first as a lot of medication also suppress appetite. I'm guessing it may be in internal issue.

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frozen cyclops usually works with finicky fish. My anthias ate copepods first, then I moved on to others.

Keep in mind, the bits of food need to be really small, I read that they have small throats, so they can't swallow big chunks.

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tdo chroma boost is something even sick fish would eat for me. I get extra small and just blanket the tank. If a mouths open they are getting a bite

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have two new anthias, disbar and evansi, in a hospital tank right now because they won't eat anything the last 5 days I've had them. I've tried pellets, frozen brine and mysis, garlic, selcon, and live brine shrimp, they won't eat anything. They don't swim around like normal anthias, they just perch at the bottom of the tank, rarely moving. They visually appear normal, no gasping, no dull colors, stomach appears normal, no white poop. I did see one of them poop, so I don't think it's constipation.

I want to medicate them, but I'm not sure what medication to try first as a lot of medication also suppress appetite. I'm guessing it may be in internal issue.
Please post a couple pics of the fish under white lighting?
What temperature and salinity are they in ?
Are they breathing normal or rapid?

Anthias can be finicky at first and often take onto live brine shrimp or blackworms then can be weaned onto frozen

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics and short videos are needed here.

I would try live baby brine shrimp.

Be sure you remove all uneaten food from the tank and monitor the ammonia level closely.

Jay

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a thread on here about getting my square backs to eat. Took about 3 weeks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back