Anthia Not Swimming

kramersean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a female Lyretail anthia about 4 weeks ago. She was doing great, eating everything multiple times daily and swimming all over. now just sits at the bottom if the tank and does mives occasionally, but will not suspend.

I purchased her and quarantined with five other fish. I drip acclimated her and put her and the others (diamond watchman, yellow watchman, purple firefish, royal gramma) into a 10 gallon quarantine tank with half power copper. Raised the copper the next day. Gave them metroplex and kanaplex three times during the 2 week copper. Diamond watchman some how jumped into the hob filter and purple firefish had some type of attachments on the gills, suspect flukes.

After two weeks of copper I moved them into a new 10 gallon and low dosed prazipro at the label directions for 24 hours with airstone. The four fish including anthia were doing great. Shortly after the prazipro dose the anthia sat at the bottom. I know they are sensitive, but hoped he would perk up. I observed for a week and he continued to just stay at the bottom and would not suspend himself. Dosed metro and kanaplex again. During this time I ran two ruby rally baths. I dosed a one hour prazi after one week and she was gasping a bit so I took him out and moved to another quarantine tank.

The three other fish looked great and I moved them to DT. Been observing the anthia for a week. He does eat sporadically flakes and frozen enriched mysis with bound vitamins.

I also tried moving the air stone by him and wave head toward him to increase water flow.

Hes not getting much worse. I have him in a darkened qt hoping he would start swimming suspended but has not. Any recommendations?

Picture is without pipe that he has to hide.

IMG_6076.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got a female Lyretail anthia about 4 weeks ago. She was doing great, eating everything multiple times daily and swimming all over. now just sits at the bottom if the tank and does mives occasionally, but will not suspend.

I purchased her and quarantined with five other fish. I drip acclimated her and put her and the others (diamond watchman, yellow watchman, purple firefish, royal gramma) into a 10 gallon quarantine tank with half power copper. Raised the copper the next day. Gave them metroplex and kanaplex three times during the 2 week copper. Diamond watchman some how jumped into the hob filter and purple firefish had some type of attachments on the gills, suspect flukes.

After two weeks of copper I moved them into a new 10 gallon and low dosed prazipro at the label directions for 24 hours with airstone. The four fish including anthia were doing great. Shortly after the prazipro dose the anthia sat at the bottom. I know they are sensitive, but hoped he would perk up. I observed for a week and he continued to just stay at the bottom and would not suspend himself. Dosed metro and kanaplex again. During this time I ran two ruby rally baths. I dosed a one hour prazi after one week and she was gasping a bit so I took him out and moved to another quarantine tank.

The three other fish looked great and I moved them to DT. Been observing the anthia for a week. He does eat sporadically flakes and frozen enriched mysis with bound vitamins.

I also tried moving the air stone by him and wave head toward him to increase water flow.

Hes not getting much worse. I have him in a darkened qt hoping he would start swimming suspended but has not. Any recommendations?

IMG_6076.jpeg
These guys dont tolerate copper well. At what level were you treating copper?
Water quality, I have no use for the ammonia badges and would not trust a $7 instrument to sustain a $50-100 fish investment. Get a physical water test done for ammonia. The container its in may be providing low oxygen level despite air stone in container

OP
OP
kramersean

kramersean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys dont tolerate copper well. At what level were you treating copper?
Water quality, I have no use for the ammonia badges and would not trust a $7 instrument to sustain a $50-100 fish investment. Get a physical water test done for ammonia. The container its in may be providing low oxygen level despite air stone in container
Thanks for your reply. Ran copper around 2 and did spot checks for ammonia. Did some water changes with redosing copper and prime. The anthia did great in the copper. Did not start acting unusual until prazipro (about 10 days avo). He is now in a fresh QT and recently did 100% water change.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for your reply. Ran copper around 2 and did spot checks for ammonia. Did some water changes with redosing copper and prime. The anthia did great in the copper. Did not start acting unusual until prazipro (about 10 days avo). He is now in a fresh QT and recently did 100% water change.
Did you mix the prazi with copper?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_6076.jpeg
I don’t see anything really wrong with the way you treated the fish. Copper is best for 30 days and kanamycin can be toxic if overdosed.

Does the fire fish show those corkscrew filaments off its gills? Those are eggs from a parasitic copepod.

Jay

OP
OP
kramersean

kramersean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see anything really wrong with the way you treated the fish. Copper is best for 30 days and kanamycin can be toxic if overdosed.

Does the fire fish show those corkscrew filaments off its gills? Those are eggs from a parasitic copepod.

Jay
Thank you for your input! I think the attachments were kind of corkscrew now that you describe it. Attached the picture. Sounds like it was too advanced to have addressed for the firefish.

Any thoughts on getting the anthia to swim?

Attachments

• IMG_5976.jpeg
    IMG_5976.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 36

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for your input! I think the attachments were kind of corkscrew now that you describe it. Attached the picture. Sounds like it was too advanced to have addressed for the firefish.

I see a very thin and possible sick fish with a mark behind gill plate but container its in makes it difficult to see.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes - those are eggs from a copepod that lives inside these fire fish. It is often fatal and cannot be treated, sorry.

No - I don’t have any specific ideas as to why the anthias is not swimming like it was.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back