Hewbie is swimming upside down!

How many crabs can I stack on top of Hewbie?😂 To be fair this wasn’t intentional it just landed on him and now he isn’t eating them which is surprising because these are his favorite. I suspect his tummy is still upset. But once I waved them in front of his face I he ate one.
 
Last edited:
Now Hewbie is sulking in the corner! He looks so sad and bored!😭 I also think he is digesting his dinner.
IMG_2522.jpeg
 
I am a firm believer that pufferfish really do get depressed and bored. I’ve seen it at the fish store and it always makes me sad. For those of you who have owned puffers. You know how engaged and interactive they are with their outside environment. Now he doesn’t have that and I feel like he is depressed/bored and currently sulking in the corner.
 
So after some activity in the bin me siphoning the debris and a water change he followed me around the bin and was like what are you doing? Oooo what’s that?😂
 
How long are you keeping him in QT?
Around a week from Thursday so he goes back in the main display Thursday/Friday after I talk to the vet. This is because his meds are a week long treatment. That and I want to try and get another stool sample. I am covering all my bases.
 
Around a week from Thursday so he goes back in the main display Thursday/Friday after I talk to the vet. This is because his meds are a week long treatment. That and I want to try and get another stool sample. I am covering all my bases.
Have you told him that he's only going to spend a few days in the pokey?

I always tell my fish and birds what's happening when we leave the house, or travel, or if I am cleaning the tank. They will relax if you tell them what their crazy person is doing now.

Talk with your fish. And for the Lord's sake, pick them up with your hands!
 
Have you told him that he's only going to spend a few days in the pokey?

I always tell my fish and birds what's happening when we leave the house, or travel, or if I am cleaning the tank. They will relax if you tell them what their crazy person is doing now.

Talk with your fish. And for the Lord's sake, pick them up with your hands!
I definitely do. I talk to my fish all the time. I told his other tank mates not to get used to having the tank to themselves because the big bad fish is coming back to town soon and is here to stay!😂 They definitely love not having him in there.
 
I got 2 Starkii damsels from the LFS. The salinity was 1.017 so I drip acclimated (I usually skip this step) and then I captured this stupid-long video clip so I could share how easy it is to lift a fish during transfer without a net. They always feel better when they realize you care.
 
I got 2 Starkii damsels from the LFS. The salinity was 1.017 so I drip acclimated (I usually skip this step) and then I captured this stupid-long video clip so I could share how easy it is to lift a fish during transfer without a net. They always feel better when they realize you care.
You can’t do this with pufferfish. At least it is highly discouraged! You don’t want them puffing air. I keep them underwater the entire time or at least I try to. Plus Hewbie has spines and bites and gloves make it harder to hold him.
 
They make great pets! Better than a puppy. 😇
I agree! Not everyone does. When I explain it to many people they don’t get it. But that is because people are thinking of a goldfish!
 
They make great pets! Better than a puppy. 😇
Forgot to say this is a very calm puffer he knows he is being released! Unlike Hewbie who just freaks out. He does not like to be touched, pet, or held. And I have tried to give him little scratches he just swims away and puffs at me like don’t touch me!!😂😂
 
Forgot to say this is a very calm puffer he knows he is being released! Unlike Hewbie who just freaks out. He does not like to be touched, pet, or held. And I have tried to give him little scratches he just swims away and puffs at me like don’t touch me!!😂😂
They’re all unique, for sure!

If you want to make him a true “pet” I’m not afraid to have you put your hands in the tank with them tetradontic clam crushers while I talk you two through the whole process.

(I saw another video that mentioned someone lost a digit to a puffer. Puffers don’t like fishing hooks?)

Hope he’s doing okay today?
 
They’re all unique, for sure!

If you want to make him a true “pet” I’m not afraid to have you put your hands in the tank with them tetradontic clam crushers while I talk you two through the whole process.

(I saw another video that mentioned someone lost a digit to a puffer. Puffers don’t like fishing hooks?)

Hope he’s doing okay today?
He is better not out of the woods yet though! Thanks for asking!🐡😊
 
I thought Hewbie died. I came home to this and spoke to his vet team just now. Antibiotics will be extended. My best conclusion is that Hewbie has been gasping at the surface and breathing heavier and then he went upside down but this afternoon he was sleeping in the corner. My heart broke again when I saw this. But after I pushed air out of him and gave him his meds he went back to normal nearly immediately. At least this is my best conclusion after looking at him and his behavior pre and post meds and pressing on him/burping him. The water quality in the tank isn’t great. Burping for me means means holding him down and gently pressing on him/his stomachs (which in that moment is what made sense). I saw some immediate improvement. Also he is a known offender for spitting water at the surface and I just saw it or almost the behavior of a fish gasping or wanting to get out of his environment. Ugh. I hate this! I will be doing a water change due to wanting to make sure his water quality remains cleaner. And update in the morning.
IMG_2536.jpeg
IMG_2538.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new