Types of rocks to max reef efforts

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not seeing much discussion nor education on what types of rock can be used to maximize a reef.

What different types of rock-compositions are there?

What are good, better, best compositions for coral growth? Live bacteria? Copepods?

What compositions are to be avoided?

My knowledge of reef tanks and types of rocks seems limited. I want to learn more

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo old Fiji is great rock

So calcium carbonate composition....which is a no Brainer bc its old dead coral.

I want a further understanding of when rocks like limestone (Texas holey) are used. how a type of rock like that 'works' for corals

Meaning.... does a NON-calcium-carbonate rock HENDER corals slightly. Not maximizing their potential bc its not a natural part of a corals habitat (????)

There's gotta be dozens of different rock composition types

Last edited:

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So calcium carbonate composition....which is a no Brainer bc its old dead coral.

I want a further understanding of when rocks like limestone (Texas holey) are used. how a type of rock like that 'works' for corals

Meaning.... does a NON-calcium-carbonate rock HENDER corals slightly. Not maximizing their potential bc its not a natural part of a corals habitat (????)

Well when a coral dies in my tank the skeleton is almost immediately filled with coraline, even when other algae is preset, coraline takes to it first. My speculation leads me to believe this is a big reason why the rock we use is old coral. The bio loads we tap into crave the elements from that substrate.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The more porous the rock is the better. That purple painted stuff that weighs a ton is solid as an example. Dry rock thats light relative to its size gives a good indication of porosity.

Back