Tyree Vivid Rainbows and Sunny D's

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are these the same polyps???

The first one is straight from Reeffarmers and the second one has been sold to me as Sunny D's

(try not to let the vibrancy get in the way...)

buyitnow_vividrainbows_triplepolyps_big.jpg
IMG_0308.jpg

OP
OP
BBoley24

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
"vivid rainbows have a black bat wing type of stripe in them that the sunny d's dont...."

-cmcneil

OP
OP
BBoley24

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
"my friend Paul/Dflad got them from Vivid years ago before they ever had a name and called them sunny D's. That name caught on and Vivid named theirs Vivid rainbows. Now there's a dispute whether they're the same thing..."

-Ian

OP
OP
BBoley24

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
"At the time I bought them vivid was selling them for vey cheap. Before the craze. I think I paid 30$ for like 15 or so polyps. I grew them out and started trading/selling them. But I thought vivid's name was confusing so I called them sunny delights. Pretty boring story but that is how it goes. For the longest time vivid was selling nightmares as darth mails too. Sometimes the names are just jumbled up by people."

-Reefinginpasadena

OP
OP
BBoley24

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
"I have what appears to be the Sunny-D's morph that reefingpasadena (you need a shorter handle ;D ) has as well as the vivid's rainbows. I acquired them from two different sources under the two different names. Regardless of lineage, for whatever reason, they continue to show seperate coloration characteristics, just like reefing's pic. I would say the sunny-d's line is more of a yellow-orange versus a more true orange or burnt orange of the vivid's line. Both are nice though and subtly different; I didn't even notice it right away, until I moved the colonies right next to each other."

-Nanofins (TDF)

OP
OP
BBoley24

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So from 3 different threads I suppose I answered my own dumb question. They are from the same origin... but have been morphed for 5 years throughout the country and I got one of those morphs. Funny how this seems to be the tale / "tail-end" of every single Z/P out there.

**** that evolution!

OP
OP
BBoley24

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok the ReefGods have somehow... someway taken control of my keyboard. Get back to work and stop playing on R2R you say?

I say nay!

Exactly 2 years ago to the day that this topic was discussed... and it seems as if I am discussing it with myself. Ok seriously... back to work... my employees are going to wonder if I am still running this joint.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 97 80.8%
  • Other.

Back