UC "V2" Torch, an Aussie Holy Grail

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just wanted to share with everyone a very pretty torch coral, article style. I haven't heard anyone talk about this torch... so this is my fan review ;Clown

From what I know, it was imported in 2019 from Australia, by Unique Corals of Los Angeles. We're lucky, UC is kinda our LFS.

20200604_215635.jpg

The name V2, unfortunately, as my brother reminded me, is not a reference to the WWII **** rocket bomb, of the same name, that was fired into England. We assume it's called V2 because the staff referred to it as awesome torch version 2, as UC also imported a very nice torch (version 1) earlier that same year.

20200605_114110.jpg

Does anyone know where it was collected Maybe the Torres Straight? Off Mackay? Maybe Ningaloo? Wherever and whomever found it, please tell – and thanks, it sure is nice. I remember seeing it when it first came into UC's warehouse -- its tentacles were super short and stumpy, like it was afraid to come out, barely peeping out at less than 0.5cm from the skeleton -- kinda like the typical Aussie gold torch stubby, but much worse, and nowhere as fat, if you know what I mean. My crazy brother seems to think it came from Greenfields, or even further north near PNG, as it doesn't quite have that characteristic Aussie stubby feel. But yet it does, and girls are always right haha.

20200604_220142.jpg

So now, we've had ours for almost half a year, and it finally seems to be puffing out and a little less afraid. It has this bright pink/rose gold color on its tentacles, under pearl/teal-colored ball tips. It also has a stripe near the bottom half, alongside the pink/gold main tentacle, that's navy blue in color... and also the base/mouth is also the same navy hue. Sometime during me and my brother's reefing education, we were taught that 3 or more colors on a torch, classified it as a holy grail. I would think the V2 is definitely a holy grail, as it has 3 colors, but especially because the pink/gold so ridiculously bright -- it's most certainly jam packed with holy florescent enzymes. It’s actually tonnes brighter than our Reef Raft holy grail torches, but those are from Indo, and are a different nice. The V2 is a sunny, super bright Aussie nice.

20200605_114355.jpg

So you can compare relative brightness, the V2 is on the far left. The biggest torch on the right is a RR holy grail.

It's under about 150 par, radion gen 4s and reef brites. no3 about 20, po4 about 0.1. Recently we had a KH Director probe failure that see-sawed our KH around 1.3 up and down, but the V2 was unphased, whew. We already fragged a piece and stuck it in our tank ;Doctor

20200605_121838.jpg

Hopefully everyone will propagate this thing, it's so nice!

Pigmo

P.S. This is just a fan review of a particular coral, I don't work for UC!

;Cat 20200605_114110.jpg

Last edited:

Chriskim858

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s amazing! Does UC still carry it? I would love to get my hands on one. I live in Pasadena, CA so not too far.

primoleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw it yesterday in New York at Manhattan Aquariums. $600 for a decent sized one and $400 for a small one head, if I well remember. Gorgeous.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back