UCA master bowerbanki

Sea_Monkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is for all UCA master bowerbanki, growout, pictures or questions about them. Post any pictures that is UCA master bowerbanki related. Enjoy

I was given an opportunity to own this hot mama, I took it and ran with it. Enjoy

018BAF6C-F9DC-4ECB-B158-3D5BC1B4939C.jpeg

Up close and personal
C96B11F0-4609-468E-9D19-BDDF961A0B8A.jpeg

knightnsd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping someone can shed some light on the growth of bowers and the odd genetics they seem to show in coloring. I cut this bower from another piece's center months ago that had every color in it and was hoping it would make some similar colored heads. Instead, the red side has generated baby red heads with some of the mother color's yellow/green and the blue and green side of the of the mother is generating those colors in the new heads making me wonder if only the new growth that eventually grows in between the two colors of the mother would end up colored out as the mother is or if I will get any more of the perfect 50/50 heads I was hoping to isolate and grow. I did not expect a line separating the colors as the offspring grow out from the mother.

Thoughts??

another try of best bowerbanki.jpg
bower growing out.jpg

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread came at a perfect time for me. I noticed my first one recently. And was wondering how large do these get? Do they propagate like zoas? Love all the photos. Thanks all of you for sharing.

Shelley

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you guys frag them if they will just grow out more little ones? Won't you ruin the one you frag? Or will it grow back as nice as it was before you cut it in half?

OP
OP
Sea_Monkey

Sea_Monkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping someone can shed some light on the growth of bowers and the odd genetics they seem to show in coloring. I cut this bower from another piece's center months ago that had every color in it and was hoping it would make some similar colored heads. Instead, the red side has generated baby red heads with some of the mother color's yellow/green and the blue and green side of the of the mother is generating those colors in the new heads making me wonder if only the new growth that eventually grows in between the two colors of the mother would end up colored out as the mother is or if I will get any more of the perfect 50/50 heads I was hoping to isolate and grow. I did not expect a line separating the colors as the offspring grow out from the mother.

Thoughts??

another try of best bowerbanki.jpg
bower growing out.jpg

Where ever the babies pop up at, they will carry that color(s). If babies pop up on red section, it will be mainly red, on green, it’ll be mainly green. Or if it pop up right where the red and green meet, it’ll be a half and half baby. Occasionally a baby would throw out different colors even if it pop up on a solid color section. Growth rate for me isn’t bad, in a year I would get about 3-5 babies on each “mama” head.

OP
OP
Sea_Monkey

Sea_Monkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you guys frag them if they will just grow out more little ones? Won't you ruin the one you frag? Or will it grow back as nice as it was before you cut it in half?

When something is so rare, you want to gamble and frag it. That way you’ll have two separate frags of a rare coral. Then you send one frag off to a trusted banking system. Or if you have a completely different stand alone system from your other system.

OP
OP
Sea_Monkey

Sea_Monkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread came at a perfect time for me. I noticed my first one recently. And was wondering how large do these get? Do they propagate like zoas? Love all the photos. Thanks all of you for sharing.

Shelley

they get pretty huge, some of my mama heads is pushing 3” when fully expanded.They encrust andgrow out like any corals, but cutting them is slightly different from Zoas.

knightnsd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fragged mine to both isolate the colors and cut the ball shaped colony down so I could frag it for others for sale/trade but had hoped to isolate the best colors but was disappointed a bit . At least now have a lot of frags as well as a better growth rate as you unlock land locked heads from growing since they were surrounded by others and unable to grow.
When something is so rare, you want to gamble and frag it. That way you’ll have two separate frags of a rare coral. Then you send one frag off to a trusted banking system. Or if you have a completely different stand alone system from your other system.

knightnsd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shelley: Sadly the bowers and the hillaes are pretty slow growers but I do have some decent growers out a few pieces but since they make a substantial skeleton, grow pretty slow even with some of my best growers and of course are a bit tough to frag as they often grow into a ball shape.

Shelley

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back