Ugh.. Dyno?

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue with high salinity. I been lowering it with water changes. Now I have brown stringy stuff on my rocks, sand and corals...

My phosphate is at 0 and nitrates almost 0.

I’m guessing dyno showed up...

My plan of action. Feed and feed. No water changes and test my pho and nitrates. Keep dosing Vibrant.

Should I take my power head and blow off my rocks?

I know there is a ton of info out there. You think my approach is a good slow start?

46C93C9E-B47F-4EB8-90AA-019B91853484.jpeg

65E184FE-7715-47A2-A114-15D7B0A6EB1D.jpeg

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blew it off some of my sps. Bad idea for all the rocks? Would it just make it worse?

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 5hr black out just to help. It seemed to help. I also added a Green Killing Machine thats a 24w. I know people say it dosent help but IMO it will do SOMETHING.

I been lowering my salinity so maybe that also had fuled it. Ill keep raising my phosphates and nitrates.

I got a new fish today form LA. I will be during the lights off again for the fish but also it will help the dino. Ill keep everyone update.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the problem. I am battling them too. I had them for years but only on the sand. Recently it became more aggressive so I am trying a few different things I have not done before.

A short term black out does not kill them, they just show back up in the light. You can try a full blackout for three days I think it is.no light at all to starve them out. I tried and it didn’t work. Depends on the strain. Some say high parameters, some say low parameters cause it. Some say high parameters will cure it, soms say low will cure. Using a micro is the only way to confithe strain for a plan to battle them.

The uv is good to help kill any in the water column. Keeping water flow will help. Blowing off the rocks can’t hurt if it is attacking the coral. The risk of blowing up detris from the rock does not outweigh the eventual take over of the coral by the Dino.

My recent effort is that I swapped out all my crushed coral for sand, pulled all my rock and redid it. And I started vibrant also. I have my skimmer running sort of wet so I am pulling about a full cup every two days.

Short of that a full tears down and redo would be next for me if I want to rid them for good.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the problem. I am battling them too. I had them for years but only on the sand. Recently it became more aggressive so I am trying a few different things I have not done before.

A short term black out does not kill them, they just show back up in the light. You can try a full blackout for three days I think it is.no light at all to starve them out. I tried and it didn’t work. Depends on the strain. Some say high parameters, some say low parameters cause it. Some say high parameters will cure it, soms say low will cure. Using a micro is the only way to confithe strain for a plan to battle them.

The uv is good to help kill any in the water column. Keeping water flow will help. Blowing off the rocks can’t hurt if it is attacking the coral. The risk of blowing up detris from the rock does not outweigh the eventual take over of the coral by the Dino.

My recent effort is that I swapped out all my crushed coral for sand, pulled all my rock and redid it. And I started vibrant also. I have my skimmer running sort of wet so I am pulling about a full cup every two days.

Short of that a full tears down and redo would be next for me if I want to rid them for good.

Thanks for the info! Mine seems to be getting better. Maybe lol....

I added a new fish so I had the lights off again for half a day, seems to help. My UV also seems to be helping, people say its not strong but IMO what gets suck in will die...

Ill keep raising my nitrates and pho. Hope it clears up soon or at least is manageable.

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did to fight mine since my system was way too sterile was to remove my macro algae and not do water changes for a few weeks and everything cleared up.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did to fight mine since my system was way too sterile was to remove my macro algae and not do water changes for a few weeks and everything cleared up.

Sounds like a good idea

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turning off skimmer for a while should also help elevate nitrate and phosphate

MadTownFess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

120G 105 total water volume
Yea the sterilizer is a little small for your size tank, but depending on the type of dino you have it would definitely help. I just ordered the same sterilizer yesterday after reading about dinos for hours. My tank is 45 gallon. From everything I've read people have had a ton of success with it

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock dry sand start? Running anything like GFO and started with a massive sump and skimmer?

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with wet sand, but other than that, that was my situation :(

Ya it’s pretty common that dry starts and overbuilt systems = dinos because you hit 0s and had no biodiversity.

Have you tried dosing nitrates and phosphates to get your levels up?

MadTownFess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it’s pretty common that dry starts and overbuilt systems = dinos because you hit 0s and had no biodiversity.

Have you tried dosing nitrates and phosphates to get your levels up?
Yea that was 100% the problem, had 0 phosphate for months. I got my levels up to 5 ppm nitrate/.02 phosphate about 4 weeks ago, dinos are still hanging around. I am hoping once I kill them off with the UV sterilizer, now that conditions are non-zero, they wont be able to bloom and come back. Thats the thought anyway, fingers crossed....

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that was 100% the problem, had 0 phosphate for months. I got my levels up to 5 ppm nitrate/.02 phosphate about 4 weeks ago, dinos are still hanging around. I am hoping once I kill them off with the UV sterilizer, now that conditions are non-zero, they wont be able to bloom and come back. Thats the thought anyway, fingers crossed....

I wish that was true for me. It does depend somewhat on the strain. My tank is mixed, it runs 30-40 nitrate and 1 phosphate when it showed up.

Unless we get an exact diag thru a microscope you may need to go thru several methods, non guaranteed even if it works for someone else.

A few ideas, but before you do any please research into them first, my list is just generalized..

1 You can try to elevate your nutrients. There is a chance the increase feeds them and starts algae.
2 3-day solid blackout.
3 Dropping salinity a bit
4 Vibrant which I am trying now
5 Pull the rock and sand. Put in new sand, clean off as much as you can and and see if diatom can outcompetes the Dino
6 Stock full of copepods and amphipods along with photo feast
7 Change the lighting schedule and color

Be careful, any method could go the other way and make things worse or cause coral issues. Hence the research prior to attempting any method.No matter which method run that skimmer and carbon. It will help aerate as well as pull out any toxins from the dying Dino. Also a uv rated for the tank can’t hurt.

I do recommend that since you started with vibrant stick with it a month or 2. Keep up maintenance and pull everything you can and stir the substrate and give it a chance since you are already in it.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same stuff crash my tank at the end of last year, had to partially rebuild it, lost almost everything. I did the blackout and that worked temporarily, but it just came back. I found that my nitrates and phosphates were also at 0 and that was the problem. After the partial rebuild I fed my tank a lot getting my nitrates and phosphates up to promote green algae and that helped me get rid of the Dinos.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far my dinos is 98% gone!

I added pods and fed plankton.
I raised my nitrates and pho with acropower and extra feeding
I added a in tank 24w green killing machine UV light. Back behind rocks.
I did 2 half day black outs.
I took out phosphate remover
Continues using vibrent. Been using it for months and still got dino.

Tanks looking good

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far my dinos is 98% gone!

I added pods and fed plankton.
I raised my nitrates and pho with acropower and extra feeding
I added a in tank 24w green killing machine UV light. Back behind rocks.
I did 2 half day black outs.
I took out phosphate remover
Continues using vibrent. Been using it for months and still got dino.

Tanks looking good

We are almost identical. Just put in pods, no plankton around.
Dumped in more snails and crabs today
I put green killing in just 30 minutes ago. It us undersized for my 180 But is 50 dollars, so I could always get another one.
No gfo, carbon only
Vibrant 2 times a week, just got new bottle today.

Let see who get rid of them first and then stays away at least a month;Wideyed

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back