Ugly phase, hair algae problem or both?

MacieKnis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I know I definitely have an hair algae problem. My questions is, is some of it part of the new ugly phase as well?
My tank still isn’t reading Ammonia, Nitrates etc, so can I clean the tank if it isn’t ready for a water change? Or at least syphon the sand? Or should I continue to wait it out?
I transferred as much cycled water and rock with the live bacteria that I could. So I’m not sure what I should do. Clean it if it isn’t cycled? Or let it be and continue to let algae grow?
IMG_7395.jpeg

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef.

If you watch the algae grow and do nothing, it will only get worse. Do you have any snails, hermits, aka clean up crew in the tank ?

Are you over feeding ? Have any test kit for phosphate and nitrate? High phosphate causes algae

High Five Boom GIF by TipsyElves.com

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MacieKnis

MacieKnis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef.

If you watch the algae grow and do nothing, it will only get worse. Do you have any snails, hermits, aka clean up crew in the tank ?

Are you over feeding ? Have any test kit for phosphate and nitrate? High phosphate causes algae

High Five Boom GIF by TipsyElves.com
I have 0 Nitrates
Phosphate is between .5 - 1.0
My CUC - two Turbo snails, 1 coral banded shrimp, 3 hermits, 1 conch, 1 Sally lightfoot crab. I’ve been using a toothbrush to brush off the extra long hair algae. Just wasn’t sure what else I can do, or is it just part of the phase?

Upvote 0

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
.5 - 1.0 ppm is high phosphate. This is the part we call husbandry. Do you have corals in the tank? I’d get a GFO reactor and SLOWLY bring down phosphate .

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone,
I know I definitely have an hair algae problem. My questions is, is some of it part of the new ugly phase as well?
My tank still isn’t reading Ammonia, Nitrates etc, so can I clean the tank if it isn’t ready for a water change? Or at least syphon the sand? Or should I continue to wait it out?
I transferred as much cycled water and rock with the live bacteria that I could. So I’m not sure what I should do. Clean it if it isn’t cycled? Or let it be and continue to let algae grow?
IMG_7395.jpeg
You have surface and hair algae and I dont suspect po4 elevated as I do the tank at or near a window- would this be correct?
Additionally the intensity of white seems a little bright and can be reduced with slight increase in Blue. If you are running red or green - reduce to under 5% as it promotes algae
Add some cleaners such as snails:
Astrea
cerith
nerite
cerith

Pin cushion urchin

A few Carribean blue leg hermits

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MacieKnis

MacieKnis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have surface and hair algae and I dont suspect po4 elevated as I do the tank at or near a window- would this be correct?
Additionally the intensity of white seems a little bright and can be reduced with slight increase in Blue. If you are running red or green - reduce to under 5% as it promotes algae
Add some cleaners such as snails:
Astrea
cerith
nerite
cerith

Pin cushion urchin

A few Carribean blue leg hermits
Po4 tested at .5- 1.0 which I learned is quite high.. whites are on at 25% blues are at 80%. No red or greens.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Po4 tested at .5- 1.0 which I learned is quite high.. whites are on at 25% blues are at 80%. No red or greens.
Reduce white to 20% (for now) and that is a bit high. . . . . . Is tank at or near a window?
For Phos- ChemiPure Elite will slowly reduce po4 and keep it in check

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MacieKnis

MacieKnis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce white to 20% (for now) and that is a bit high. . . . . . Is tank at or near a window?
For Phos- ChemiPure Elite will slowly reduce po4 and keep it in check
It is near a window, it doesn’t get much direct light. However I did order curtains and I’m waiting to install them. I think that should help as well. Will the ChemiPure Elite eliminate the po4? What Phosphate test kit do you recommend?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is near a window, it doesn’t get much direct light. However I did order curtains and I’m waiting to install them. I think that should help as well. Will the ChemiPure Elite eliminate the po4? What Phosphate test kit do you recommend?
Its not the direct light and as suspected- its the UV that will penetrate blinds and shades and some curtains. Black paper against the side that faces the window will reduce algae issue drastically

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back