Uh oh...Baby Mantis?

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprised I got a shot of him as he's well-hidden inside a rock. I never see this little fellow when looking for him. Did a baby mantis sneak in on my live rock?
IMG_20240211_131631.jpg

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprised I got a shot of him as he's well-hidden inside a rock. I never see this little fellow when looking for him. Did a baby mantis sneak in on my live rock?
IMG_20240211_131631.jpg
Beautiful, personally - sump the guy and keep him fed as a secondary eco system.
Don't consider putting the fella in the aquarium.

OP
OP
AtlantiCat

AtlantiCat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, pull the rock and poke around until it drops out. That is how i had to get the last gorilla crab.
I haven't glued anything down yet and I need to remove some dying sponges, so this might be an option. Bamboo skewers might flush him out.

The gorillas didn't survive the ammonia spike from what I can tell, I've removed several carcasses.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't glued anything down yet and I need to remove some dying sponges, so this might be an option. Bamboo skewers might flush him out.

The gorillas didn't survive the ammonia spike from what I can tell, I've removed several carcasses.
Simpler alternative. Take rock, place in heated saltwater at a gravity of 1.040. Dunk it for a minute or two. If it's still happy after that time and hasn't ejected. It deserves a medal.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also add a mil or two of dettol - that tends to get stuff moving.

OP
OP
AtlantiCat

AtlantiCat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the rock he's in and S U M P. H I M
No sump in an AIO. There's a small space at the back where I planned to have a small refugium, but that's about it. If I can get him out, I'll put him there with a smaller rock and some caulerpa, and feed him up until he's selling age.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Set up a small tank for the little one! I ordered one from them and shes adorable!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back