Uln tank with diatom algae! what the heck....confused

Wendell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a mixed reef 150 gal tank. Alk 9 Cal. 450 mag. 1480. Nitrates 0 phosphates .04.
The 5 yr old system has been fine until recently. A couple of my sps bleaching. The only change was the addition of a rolling sock system. I surmised that because the socks were removed from my system that the nitrates that normally accumulated and leached into the tank are no longer there and that I may be starving my coral. I have been reading on how to dose nutrients but I am leery about it especially after seeing a diatom bloom. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks in advance

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
microscopic algae has a better edge at zero nutrient levels. Sodium nitrate dosing is rather close to calculated outcomes. Start low make a stock solution that only adds 1ppm per ml of solution and test 24 hours later. Repeat till its steady somewhere above zero.

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the beginning signs of dinos in my tank when I let my Phosphate get to 0 and I followed the advise in this thread and had great success with it, I don't have any signs of them anymore. I hope it can help you to :)

https://www.reef2reef.com/posts/3887362/

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back