Ultimate 100 Gallon Growout Tank

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it begins...
58972845395--A17300E0-F83D-494A-9364-1680B7E7C43A.JPG

Sold a lot of JF HW acros for this beast. Unfortunately college is holding me back a lot, but I WILL get this done soon.
Just need to plumb it and fill it. Also need a calcium reactor, but I'm too broke haha.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice looking tank! I look forward to seeing this come together for you - good luck!

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's finally filled and all the hard plumbing has been done, but the soft plumbing still needs to be done. Right now the tank is just running with 2 gyres. Rocks were from a cycled tank so it is already seeded, added my first batch of fish from 2 month qt.
IMG-0162.JPG

Current stocking is Moorish Idol, Earmuff Wrasse, Cleaner Wrasse, and a pair of Red Mandarins that hides lol. More to come.
IMG-0169.JPG

Also a sneak peek of corals that will be adding to my tank soon...
58972837470--72CEE219-B193-490E-B9D2-0D856DA75D7F.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally plumbed my tank! Also added sand for my earmuff wrasse and future wrasses still in qt. Can't wait to add corals! Gonna need more rock tho.
IMG-0194.JPG

IMG-0196.JPG

My best buddy lol. Been with me for 9 months now. Tip to keep them is type of diet doesn't matter, but the amount you feed does. I feed him 6-10 times a day, 2 cubes of frozen (what type changes each day), NLS flakes, and nori (for him to eat when it is not feeding time) just for him alone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New member joins qt, Rose Banded Fairy Wrasse (90% Transitioning male). Got him for $80, cheap compared to $400. They were even 9 grand when they first ever came in to the US lol.
IMG-0213.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added more rocks to complete "booty cheeks" rockscape. But more importantly, added my first batch of corals finally! Will do close up shots when corals establish. Also will do a full walkthrough of my system when I finally get all of my equipment.
IMG-0289.JPG

IMG-0289 (1).JPG

IMG-0290.JPG

Still need to get a few more corals and fish to complete stocking list. Need about 5k lol.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh so I had the biggest fail ever. I have the most strict QT process, and my tanks are ALWAYS disease free. But not this time.

I haven't posted about the tank lately mainly to two things. One is bryopsis issue. I made sure to scrub all my corals as I never trust sources. Ended up getting it anyways. Right now I am treating with Fluconazole so it ain't really a big deal, just an inconvenience.

The second one however, was a big oops. Two weeks ago, my Moorish Idol got velvet. I use ionic copper at 0.5-0.6 ppm for qt (or CP depending on species), pretty strong at that concentration. But it was all for nothing when I completely forgot that I put a small pinfish in my refugium just for fun, this was when I just had the sump running and still setting up my display tank. He's now quintuple the size. He also ate my candy basslet. And worst of all, he wasn't qted.

It's been two weeks now and at least my story had a happy ending. Moorish Idol is still alive somehow. Two weeks ago he was just covered in powdery dust and white spots all of a sudden, however his appetite was only slightly affected. So I was able to feed him metroplex soaked foods. Even though Seachem said it cured ich and velvet, I knew metroplex was only for internal parasites (Seachem doesn't state this however) and catching him was near impossible without moving rocks and breaking corals as he would just dash into the cave. But I had to do something, this was at least better than nothing, and I am so glad it worked.

He was after a week of being covered, he was finally velvet free. I couldn't believe it, normally velvet kills in a day or so but it was been 2 weeks since symptoms and it is all gone from his body for a week. None of my other fish showed velvet though, but that's because I only have wrasses and a red mandarin, which are somewhat disease resistant.

Unfortunately, I have velvet in my tank now that I have to deal with, and perhaps ich, but at least I am now ready to manage it when they attack my fish again. I will post more updates as soon as I get rid of bryopsis. I like to write about ugly, but not take pictures of it. But this build is a very important experiment with livestock worth thousands of dollars, so might as well tell you all about my journey with this tank, whether good or bad.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These two rocks used to have thousands of dollars worth of acans. Now its just a monti rock and goni rock in progress.
IMG-0461.JPG

Turns out my Moorish Idol became an acan muncher. Ate some really nice frags, but left alone my holy grail pieces like this one. Pics doesn't even do justice (not good at taking pics anyways), this is the most unique acan anyone has ever seen, even quoted by the collector in Australia.
IMG-0466 (3).jpg
IMG-0467 (3).jpg

All of my acans are now in the holding tank, which is now the acan tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introducing new wrasse from QT, my Transitioning Female Pseudojuloides Polynesica. Can't wait for it to become male!
IMG-0477.jpg

Sorry for terrible pic, these guys move so fast.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to add this guy! Right now just doing an awesome job of taking care of some critters in my coral 2nd phase qt tank.
Male Pseudojuloides Splendens, terrible pic but I always have trouble taking pics of wrasses.
RenderedImage.JPG

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my diy mesh lid due to freak accident. This hobby has been hard on me lately.

Had an acrylic lid. Moorish Idol was chasing Rose Banded Fairy Wrasse and the wrasse jumped. Smashed right into the lid and started to swim funny. It progressively got worse til he couldn't swim anymore. I moved him to an acclimation box. This was going on for 2 weeks now and he's still alive but not well. Still eating, but I have to baster food right by his mouth. Pretty much sitting by his death bed, hoping he would make a comeback.

Now I switched to mesh lid so hopefully this would never happen again. Lineatus Fairy coming soon after qt.
IMG-0507.JPG

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enough with the bad news however, here's some eye candy.

Dragon Soul Torch and Purple Tip Gold Torch
IMG-0529 (1).jpg
IMG-0514 (1).jpg
IMG-0492 (1).jpg
IMG-0535 (1).jpg

BSA Mind Melter Chalice
IMG-0497 (1).jpg
IMG-0511 (1).jpg
IMG-0526 (1).jpg

BSA Hotline Bling Chalice
IMG-0530 (1).jpg
IMG-0520 (2).jpg

Sexy Coral's Orange Passion and AV99 Orange Crush (Still needs some coloring up to do)
IMG-0518 (1).jpg

Battle Corals Sex Feast (Pretty discolored)
IMG-0517 (1).jpg

Jason Fox Kung Pao Monti
IMG-0533 (1).jpg
IMG-0515 (1).jpg

WWC Allstar Acro
IMG-0510 (1).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new acan tank (also my holding tank when I'm selling frags) since I had to rehome my acans due to Moorish Idol munching on them. Don't mind the algae lol, it has been neglected a bit but now it is under love and care.
IMG-0543 (1).jpg

Last edited:

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested my tank parameters. Using an eXact iDip spectrometer to test.
Ca: 442.8 ppm
kH: 9.24 dkH (not balanced with Ca but close, Alk. is perfect though)
Mg: 1250 (WAY too low for me)
PO4: 0.03 ppm
NO3: 7 ppm (meh)
how do you like that kit?

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you like that kit?
Very accurate, results are pretty close to ICP Tests, especially compared to hobby titration test kits, which are way off.

I make sure I fill the testing cell with distilled white vinegar after I'm done testing to prevent biofilm from building up inside, which can throw off readings.

Testing doesn't take long as well, usually less than a minute to test one thing.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd Test. Using an eXact iDip spectrometer to test.
Ca: 450.8 ppm
kH: 9.41 dkH (not balanced with Ca but close, Alk. is perfect)
Mg: 1270 (WAY too low for me, need to buy more Mg)
PO4: 0.01 ppm (low, ideal is 0.05-0.08)
NO3: >1 ppm (read LO, ideal is 1 ppm)
Giant refugium sucks up all the nutrients, will do a full system walkthrough once I get all my equipment.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going away for a while this week for my birthday, friends treating me on a road trip. This tank better behave while I am gone, got someone to look over my tank. Unfortunately, it's not the person who I trust most since she is also going on my birthday trip, but I still trust the person looking over now. Hopefully I'm not one of those guys who gets the worse case scenario when they leave the tank, I've heard pretty bad stories. Crossing my fingers.
IMG-0572.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back