Ultra low Nutrients

Ox100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nutrients are ultra low After upgrading my sump an adding a refugium I'm also running a skimmer levels went from high to Undetectable (Total system 140g duel fliter socks. What's the best way to raise my nutrients should I be dosing? or just run the skimmer less

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run your fuge 24/7 or how long do you have your lights on that? I've found if my nutrients start dipping, I turn that off during the day and only run it at night to keep pH up and such. Helps leave some of those nutrients in the water. You could also take your collection cup off your skimmer so it just helps with gas exchange for a little bit while you let nutrients rebuild.

Sounds like the system is working *too* well lol Just have to dial this in, it will remove nutrients and waste differently than your previous sump, so now you have to work on figuring out the best methods to run it. Will take some monitoring and reacting and a whole bunch of testing in my experience.

Upvote 0

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nutrients are ultra low After upgrading my sump an adding a refugium I'm also running a skimmer levels went from high to Undetectable (Total system 140g duel fliter socks. What's the best way to raise my nutrients should I be dosing? or just run the skimmer less
I would highly suggest that you don't dose. Adding nitrate to the tank will eventually cause elvated alk issues and this will give you grief.

Better to dose "stuff". Phyto, oyster feast etc ... Also feed more and spot feed corals that might like it. Make sure you know which corals feed so you don't irritate. Doing this will ensure that you don't elevate your alk and the tank will enjoy the food throughput.

Upvote 0

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using that are reading undetectable? I would recommend against running the skimmer less. As others have suggested, I’d start by running the fuge light less or turn down the skimmer and skim dry.

Upvote 0

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The refugium is possibly the culprit. Start decreasing the amount of algae in it until you obtain the nutrient levels you desire. Give the system some days to respond to each algae removal before doing the next harvest. Once you achieved the desired level, perform a small weekly harvest to maintain the appropriate algae size.

Upvote 0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does low and ultra low mean? What are the numbers? Also, what kits are you using to determine this - some are reliable and some are not.

Just a trace of phosphate is fine. Undetectable nitrate is also fine if you have fish and are feeding them well.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back